New Router

cowgirl66 17:17 08 Oct 2008

Hi,

I have had problems with my Sky Sagem router and so Sky have sent me a replacement Netgear router to try and solve the problem.

Do I just plug the wires into the new router? Do I plug in the wires first before I turn the computer on? Or what?

From a router-nerd who would like instructions please!

Pineman100 17:29 08 Oct 2008

Didn't the router come with a CD? If it did, just run the CD and a wizard should guide you through the installation step-by-step.

iscanut 17:29 08 Oct 2008

I don't think it matters in what sequence you attach router to incoming cable and computer, but you do need to do is to set up the router. Sky should have given you all the settings for this and the Netgear router should also have come with a set up disk. Run this and follow the instructions.

cowgirl66 17:35 08 Oct 2008

Yes it has come boxed with CD and leads just as the first router did when I first joined Sky. Should I uninstall Sky broadband then and start from scratch?

^wave^ 17:36 08 Oct 2008

you will find that the router should be setup just plug in and go they should provide the wireless key too

chub_tor 17:38 08 Oct 2008

Access to the Netgear routers is usually 192.168.0.1. Defaults for the router are admin and password then you should go to Basic Settings page where you can enter your adsl details of login and password given to you by Sky.

chub_tor 17:40 08 Oct 2008

Before you uninstall Sky broadband - if that is what you choose to do - make sure you know your Sky Login name and password, you will need it for the Netgear.

cowgirl66 18:16 08 Oct 2008

I would like to know for sure the correct procedure. I don't know whether to uninstall Sky Broadband or just switch routers.
I do have my Sky Login name and password. I have made a note too of the I.P. address because I don't want to be wireless-preset.

Technotiger 18:24 08 Oct 2008

I would do as already suggested, simply swap the old and new routers over.

If it is wrong, so what? you are not going to blow up your pc, or yourself!

Just bit-the-bullet and do it!

cowgirl66 18:26 08 Oct 2008

God I hope you're right Techie.. watch for the smoke...

Technotiger 18:27 08 Oct 2008

Hmm, ... bite-the-bullet

Just close down your PC in the normal way, then switch off and dis-connect your old router, fit the new router and switch it on, then re-start your PC.

We are all behind you .......... !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?