new ram installed and now my computer sees floppy

cheerup347 15:54 12 Jul 2007

hi,

i had 1gb in my vista running PC

i out in another 1gb stick completely compatable with my PC, turned it on, and the PC qworked fine

next tiem i turnbed it on. i have this error message before anytihng booted up:

'BIOS ROM Checksum error

Detecting floppy A Media...
Drive A Error. System Halt'

i have no floppy drive isntalled or changed anytihng in my computer apart from added a new stick of ram.

when i took the new 1gb stick of ram out it booted up fine but then installed an imaginary floppy drive and in my computer i saw a floppy disk drive.

so, i have a pc that sees an imaginary floppy drive and wont let me put in my new ram.

can anyone help me with this as it worked for the first boot up when i installed the ram but now it wont run with the ram installed. and i have this floppy drive installed into my computer which just physically isnt there!"

any help would be msot appreciated.

thanks

crosstrainer 16:00 12 Jul 2007

is the most likely cause of this. First, enter your BIOS and make sure that floppy drive is disabled.

If that fails to do the trick (which I suspect it may) then open your case, and reseat the memory modules in their slots. If that won't do the trick, then try them one at a time until you find the faulty memory module....return to shop for a new one!

cheerup347 16:07 12 Jul 2007

hi,

thanks, the original memory works fine apart from the fact the floppy drive is still there,

so im pretty sure the new one is the faulty one. but even when i take out the old one, the floppy drive is still there.

i will try and make sure the floppy drive si disabled. but where in the BIOS is that?

what catagory will it be under?

thanks

crosstrainer 16:18 12 Jul 2007

From Bios to Bios, But if you carefully scroll through each screen, look for items such as "floppy seek on boot up" and in the first or second menu item, you should find an option to disable it completely, which is what you want.

I still think that you have a faulty memory stick though.

cheerup347 18:36 12 Jul 2007

hi,

ok thanks,

yes i will get it repl;aced but evne without the new ram the floppy drive is still seen whihc i dont want. so i need to know how to get rid of the non existant floppy drive.

thanks

cheerup347 21:00 12 Jul 2007

anyone?

thanks

[email protected] 21:08 12 Jul 2007

click here=
for information only,

cheerup347 16:47 13 Jul 2007

hi,

ok i managed to get rid of the floppy drive through the bios but jsut selection NO DRIVE A or sometihng. but theres also a G:/ drive i didnt notice which is another dvd driove (i only have 1 in my com puter)

anyon e know how to get rid of that, i cant find that anywhere in the bios!

thanks

cheerup347 17:32 13 Jul 2007

hi,

ok i managed to get rid of the floppy drive through the bios but jsut selection NO DRIVE A or sometihng. but theres also a G:/ drive i didnt notice which is another dvd driove (i only have 1 in my com puter)

anyon e know how to get rid of that, i cant find that anywhere in the bios!

thanks

cheerup347 18:36 13 Jul 2007

anyone?

im now trying to get my computer how it was before, i have got rifd of the floppy drive, but now computer thinmks theres a 2nd dvd drive when there isnt.

any ideas?

Andy1991 20:27 13 Jul 2007

Try device manager :-):

1) START
2) Right click "My Computer"
3) Select "Properties"
4) Click the "Hardware" tab
5) Select "Device manager"
6) Click the cross next to "DVD\CD-ROM drives" to expand it
7) If there is 2 in there then see if u can decide which one the drive to remove is
8) right click it
9) select uninstal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?