NEW Question: Share 1 Monitor with 2 PCs?

AngeTheHippy 09:18 01 Apr 2007

Morning Chaps, Continuing from last weeks query, rather than connect my PC with the PC my Son gave me last week, would it instead be possible to connect 1 Monitor to the 2 PCs? Try and explain better. Rather than physically removing the Monitor plug from back of my PC and plug into Sons pc, is there a 'splitter' connector available to allow me to do this? I wouldn't have BOTH PCs working at the same time.

Thanks,

AngeTheHippy
xx

MAJ 09:24 01 Apr 2007

You need a KVM switch. click here

AngeTheHippy 09:26 01 Apr 2007

would this item click here
the 4th item down, be the same thing?

Ange

AngeTheHippy 09:26 01 Apr 2007

the Monitor I wanna share - not keyboard or mouse...

Ange

wizza68 09:28 01 Apr 2007

Hi,

You can purchase "VKM" (video, keyboard, mouse) devises that can split a common connection to multiple computers.

However, I am using a single monitor with two computers, but each has its own keyboard and mouse. The monitor has both DVI and D-sub inputs. My old computer is plugged into the D-sub input and new computer into the DVI input of the monitor.

I can then swap between them whenever I want to.

Wizza68

MAJ 09:28 01 Apr 2007

Cheaper model click here

MAJ 09:32 01 Apr 2007

It's not the same thing AngeTheHippy (the 4th one down) but it will allow you to share the monitor.

AngeTheHippy 09:43 01 Apr 2007

will keep this in mind.

Hi Wizza68, interesting. Just looked at back of Monitor, it's already connected to this PC with a VGA connector. There is however, ANOTHER socket labelled DMI. What would that one do? This monitor, a HANNS.G that I bought in January from Amazon for an excellent price and performs brilliantly, sadly comes with no paperwork...

AngeTheHippy 12:31 01 Apr 2007

vitrocmax 13:43 01 Apr 2007

will work only if you have a DVI output on one of your video cards. I want to do exactly the same thing, but I don't have a DVI output on either PC. A switch from Maplin (if there's one locally) is about the cheapest way (although there are lots of other suppliers)- I got one for £10 on clearance - a 2way 15pin switch is what you need, along with another video cable (£5, also on offer at the moment).

You don't need to connect the mouse and keyboard.

AngeTheHippy 08:21 03 Apr 2007

See what yr saying. I've decided to get a switch box, have found a couple online, and they're not expensive.

HAPPY EASTER CHAPS!!!

AngeTheHippy
xxx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?