New PSU - strange POST Beeps.

Scoodle 11:07 27 Feb 2009

Hello.

I've just replaced the blown PSU on my oldish NVIDIA K7N2-boarded computer, which has - I think - Award BIOS.

When I first fired her up after the new fitting, nothing seemed to happen other than a very unusual POST beep - this was a long beep (around a second long) followed by about 3 seconds silence, repeating itself continuously.

After a few non-starts like this, all suddenly went well and the machine has been absolutely fine ever since.

I've tried to find what this LONG, SINGLE, with a 3-4 second gap, repeated beep means, but have had no luck!

Any ideas?!

Also, the new PSU has slightly different supply cables to the original; in addition to the normal 20 + 4 pin m'board connectors (and an unneeded SATA, etc), it has 2 identical bundles with 3 MOLEX connectors and a smaller floppy plug at the end.

Can you confirm that these 2 cables are, indeed, identical in power?

Is there any recommended way to split them between the devices they supply? I have 1 floppy, 2 CD/DVD drives, 2 hard discs, one main system fan and the graphics card power supply. My computer already has plenty of short linking cables between these devices, and links to the graphics card etc. How should they be divided so as to evenly share power, or is this not really critical?

Many thanks for any info.

Graham. 11:10 27 Feb 2009

I think the beep means unseated memory.

Graham. 11:11 27 Feb 2009
  Scoodle 11:31 27 Feb 2009

Thanks for the quick reply, Graham.

I had seen that diagnosis before, but assumed it meant a single - unrepeated - long beep (I'm new to this!!!) Will the beep repeat itself after a pause?

Interesting it should fix itself, although I do now recall that after the false-starts I went around all the plugs giving them a final 'push' although they were all appeared to have been seated correctly.

A friend has suggested that new PSUs have electronic switching inside which detects the power being demanded and spends a little time regulating itself to 'match' the new computer it has been connected to. Any truth in this?!

Thanks.

Stuartli 11:37 27 Feb 2009

See:

click here

If anyone is looking to use the bioscentral website, avoid.

Avast! consistently posts a Trojan warning whether the link is direct or via Google.

First time I've known this to happen with bioscentral.

Scoodle 13:14 27 Feb 2009

Thanks, Stuart.

RAM it is then...!

Could it have been caused by a lack of power to the board, and hence the RAM? I'm pretty sure I didn't touch the RAM when I was checking all the connectors, just the power cables I'd been fitting.

Anyways... thanks for the replies, gents.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?