New PSU needed for Dell 9150?

nick_j007 22:53 13 Nov 2010

Evening all.

I've been looking at this most of the night and feel I'm ready to post a question or two before I take it a step further.

As a point of ref. I have just been reading another thread on a similar subject here: click here

For nearly 2 weeks now I've been running the gauntlet when starting the PC each morning. I use my PC for work, so it's important I get this baby back on the straight and narrow.

The amber light is steadily flashing around the start button and it has not been starting on the timer as it normally does.

The power cable/plug that comes into the tower needs to be wiggled a little before it buzzes and fizzes and seems to spark the PC into life. Most precarious I know, but it will start the PC and then seems to stay on the rest of day...often only to be repeated the next morning!

It's not the incoming cable as the printer cable is of the same type and shape and does not improve the situation any.

So my PSU seems suspect. Would you agree I should simply change it with a new unit?

I have determined that it's an ATX unit. The current model number is P8401 on a Dell 9150.

Think I'll be ok changing it over etc., but thought I would just put my query out there before hunting a new one down.

The brand Corsair has been coming up a few times.
Would this do the job? click here

TIA.

Nick

GaT7 23:10 13 Nov 2010

You're right that a standard ATX PSU will do (see click here for confirmation), but you don't need a fancy one costing £80+.

This Corsair click here for a lot less (i.e. £35) will do the job very nicely (I can also suggest cheaper alternatives if required).

The only thing I cannot tell you for sure is whether a PSU replacement will cure the symptoms you're experiencing. So, if possible, try to borrow a working PSU (minimum 300W) from someone to test with to confirm one way or the other. G

nick_j007 23:19 13 Nov 2010

Thank you Crossbow7.

I keep coming back to the conclusion that it must need replacing due to the wiggling required to make the connection to power it up. As I say it fizzes and doesn't sound good tbh. Would it be advisable to open the PSU and investigate?

Othewrwise for £35.00 or thereabouts I may as well get a new one?

Might you venture to offer me a link so I can just go order one please?

With thanks.

nick_j007 23:23 13 Nov 2010

Sorry Crossbow... you did supply a link to the corsair...will just get that then unless you have any other ideas first?

Thanks again,

Nick

GaT7 13:42 14 Nov 2010

Yes, I think the £35 Corsair click here will be a good buy.

The problem with cheaper, lower-quality PSUs (an example click here) is that they are not very efficient, which means you'll be spending more in the long run. G

nick_j007 13:46 14 Nov 2010

Ordered the Corsair from Amazon.

TVM!

GaT7 13:51 14 Nov 2010

Return to let us know how it fares when you tried it out.

Btw, when I said you'll be spending more in the long run with an inferior PSU, I meant in electricity bills. G

onthelimit 15:27 14 Nov 2010

Never a good idea as the capacitors in there can be lethal, and anyway the circuitry is complicated. They're so cheap it's really not worth the risk

nick_j007 22:31 15 Nov 2010

Corsair unit arrived today courtesy of Amazon.
Handsome looking unit, shame to have it tucked inside the tower really! Thick, well made cables adorn the inside of my Dell tower :)

I am now typing with a powered up PC and all seems good so far.

I need to power the PC down and up again to satisfy myself all is well, but it's running fine presently.

Might be my imagination, but after a good vac out it seems to be processing more quickly?!

QUESTION.
In the process of pulling the old wire loom out I had to lift off the large cooling block that sits over the processor.

This has disrupted the seal (some sort of sealant to enable contact?). Anyway, whilst running fine currently, it's on my mind that maybe I should clean those two surfaces and place some fresh glue or sealant on them before rejoining and running the PC?

Wow. the thick and caked dust around that same unit was huge! I do give the case a vac out at least once a year, but never have I removed that unit. I am so pleased to have given that a clean, just wondering about the sealant bit please.

With thanks.

Nick

GaT7 22:41 15 Nov 2010

No, it will be fine - I would only worry for a high-end CPU or if lots of it was removed from the surfaces - a fine film is usually OK to keep it good. It's called thermal compound / paste / grease by the way, & is NOT glue or anything remotely similar :-), even if it feels like that! More info click here.

As you know firsthand now, Corsair make quality PSUs. There are a other companies that also do, & as mentioned before, always makes good economic sense to buy one. G

nick_j007 22:53 15 Nov 2010

As long as you're sure then thanks.

It's a dual core machine ...make any difference?

By the way, Is upgrading the CPU easy enough, worth the cost, and will I see a notable increase in performance?

Got a taste to upgrade the PC's performance ;)
Where is it usually best to start?
It has 4Gb RAM, and that's its max I believe.
About 2 Tb DHH space, though OS split over the original x2 250Gb drives. Others are for photo's, video processing and similar.

Thanks again for all your swift help.

Very pleased this end.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?