New processor question

Chris the Ancient 16:52 08 Feb 2011

I'm currently running with:

* FoxConn A6VMX Motherboard

* AMD 7750 Dual-Core 2.70Gb Processor

* 4Gb RAM

What would be the fastest processor I could change to - and would it be worth it?

RobCharles1981 17:06 08 Feb 2011

This is your board

click here

Looking at the specs it takes up to AM2 Socket imo you won't benift that Much performance suggest you save up and get AM3 or I5.

GaT7 17:13 08 Feb 2011

List of compatible CPUs for your board at click here. Best would be a quad-core AM2 9850 or AM3 X910. You may also need the latest BIOS version installed, i.e. 772F1P22 (click here to download if required).

It depends what you do with it. If you're running any software that can make use of the 4 cores then you'll find a difference in those applications. For everyday tasks, next to nothing.

I use a spec very similar to yours for surfing the Internet, editing photos, listening to music, office programs, watching TV (via internal tuner) & similar activities. It's very quick & there's no slow down even if I have several windows or programs opened. I also have another PC with a much better spec, but that's just reserved for gaming. G

Chris the Ancient 17:27 08 Feb 2011

Thanks, guys.

Much as I expected, really. Not worth the bother.

I had a look on the back of my computer and found it had a 'sell by' date that was a bit in the past ;-))

GaT7 17:29 08 Feb 2011

X4 910 would be the best - confirmed via click here & click here.

Followed closely by the X4 630 click here - not the X4 9850. G

Chris the Ancient 18:11 08 Feb 2011

Some interesting stats there!

However, as my pc is used, in the main, for MS Office tasks and the internet, I shall save my pennies for now and maybe upgrade the complete pc later in the year.... if I haven't blown my money on fixing something on the car at the next MoT.

Thanks for the data though.

GaT7 18:22 08 Feb 2011

Wise choice Chris.

I only ever upgraded or went for a better spec when the previous spec &/or OS couldn't keep up with my usage.

In the past I used a very basic spec running Win98se, & was satisfied with having one or two windows/programs running. But then much later I began to multitask/game & had to go for better specs/OS. Been using XP for the last 6 years now. And even though I also purchased Win7 not too long ago, find myself using the former just as much. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?