new printer wanted - advice please

eysha 12:33 13 Aug 2008

My old Canon i250 just gave up the ghost due to a dead battery so i need to buy a new printer. An Epson has been advised but the price of the ink cartridges are expensive and i have read somewhere that Epson is suing companies that make compatibles for their printers ensuring that you will soon be only able to buy their ink at top price so - being on a budget i need a printer that will give me good quality photos and text at a good price and i need to be able to buy compatible ink cartridges too, which reminds me to ask where is a good place to buy cheap ink cartraidges? I have only used Canon printers to date but happy to swop if the prices are right.
Thanks in advance for all and any help on this one.
R

Clapton is God 12:45 13 Aug 2008

"My old Canon i250 just gave up the ghost due to a dead battery"

Uh? A battery powered printer?

Have a look at the Canon Pixma range

eysha 12:47 13 Aug 2008

LOL, yes it reported a dead battery so a friend looked that up for me and yes it had a lithium batter that died - i was surprised too. thanks for the help i will go look.
E.

HenryVII 21:20 13 Aug 2008

I had an Epson Stylus that had given years of good service. It finally died the death recently as I started a rather large and urgent print job. I had a rather quick look around and grabbed Canon Pixma iP4500, just to get the printing going again. I'm glad I bought it, now. I use it for text, photos and for printing on Printable DVDs. I have found nothing to complain about.

The ink tanks are not cheap, but they seem to last, and I've no complaints. I always get mine from click here, though, whose service has been prompt and reliable, whose "own brand" cartridges are good, and whose staff are very helpful.

kdt 21:32 13 Aug 2008

epson has been good for me for the past 9 years.
last year's birthday present was Epson Stylus DX4050. You might also be able to pick up generic ink as well.

kdt 21:34 13 Aug 2008

by the way the old one still works but I neatly put it away with the disc for emergencies and using DX4050

eysha 13:42 14 Aug 2008

Thanks for the responses. Ink prices are a big consideration as i print a lot of stuff daily so i need a good affordable printer with compatable inks too.

jack 13:55 14 Aug 2008

Then a machine the can handle Continuous ink supply systems has to be a consideration
The Epson R200/300 series machines for example
But take a look here and take in all about
These systems

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?