new printer required

Cockney Rebel 11:17 27 Mar 2010

I,m looking to replace my ancient EpsonR320 printer with an all in one with wi-fi capapability.Any recommendations please.I,m looking at either the Canon Pixma 560 or the 640 at the mo.Thankyou in advance.

123joey123 11:53 27 Mar 2010

I have just bought a Canon Pixma. It's a decent printer and does not use too much ink but it's no better than my previous Epsons.

The Kestrel 12:06 27 Mar 2010

The Epson SW515W seems to have good reviews click here

palinka 11:28 28 Mar 2010

I would always recommend Canons.
My experience of Epsons is that the ink tends to dry up very quickly if not used frequently and if the printer is kept anywhere that is warm.(How hot do you keep your house?)
Epson inks tend to be more expensive than Canon's, and draft quality on Epson is VERY faint - so that to be at all usable you have to print at a "higher" setting (thus using more ink?)

One feature that I always look for in a printer is that all 4 inks should be separate - then if you happen to use a lot of (say) magenta, you can replace just magenta. Some printers have separate black but put all the colours in a single cartridge, so that if one colour is empty you have effectively to replace all colours by buying a new colour cartridge.

palinka 11:43 28 Mar 2010

I would always recommend Canons.
My experience of Epsons is that the ink tends to dry up very quickly if not used frequently and if the printer is kept anywhere that is warm.(How hot do you keep your house?)
Epson inks tend to be more expensive than Canon's, and draft quality on Epson is VERY faint - so that to be at all usable you have to print at a "higher" setting (thus using more ink?)

One feature that I always look for in a printer is that all 4 inks should be separate - then if you happen to use a lot of (say) magenta, you can replace just magenta. Some printers have separate black but put all the colours in a single cartridge, so that if one colour is empty you have effectively to replace all colours by buying a new colour cartridge.

Technotiger 11:46 28 Mar 2010

I have always used Epson printers, my present Epson is the Photo R360, an excellent printer, can be shared on a wireless network, prints direct to CD/DVD's and has built-in card readers to print direct from the card, without even having the PC on. Also has Exif USB connection for Camera. Uses six individual cartridges. I do quite a lot of colour photo printing, and by using the Draft option I still get really good prints, certainly good enough for everyday use/family photo albums etc. Draft, saves lots of ink, and in any case I use compatibles at just over £2 per cartridge which, in my case anyway, does not mean poorer quality prints - I always only ever use good quality Epson photo paper.

I get my inks from INKredible (not a Typo) just Google the name!

john 52 13:58 28 Mar 2010

I have had two Epsom printers a Epson740 and a Epson RX500 both printers never failed once and were only changed because I wanted a multifunction !! I have just used compatible inks all the time with no problems !!Will be changing my printer soon and probably go for the Epson SX515( compatible cartridges are reasonably priced for this printer)

Cockney Rebel 16:22 28 Mar 2010

Thankyou very much for all the replies.I,m edging towards the Canon at the moment.Although I,ve always had Epsons I,m wondering if its time for change of manufacturer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?