New PC won't start up

PC Advisor Fan 11:54 02 Apr 2011

Hi Everyone,

I have built a new PC and it won't startup. The hard drives and Blue Ray drive power on but I see no image on the monitor, I tested the graphics card on other PC at is works so I know that the problem is not with the graphics card.

Below is the Spec

Asus M4A87TD/USB3 870 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit Unbuffered CL9

Be Quiet 530W Pure Power PSU

LG BH10LS30 10x BD-RE with DVD±RW & LightScribe

XFX HD 5450 650MHz 512MB DDR3 HDMI DVI VGA PCI-E Graphics Card

MD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 6MB L3 Cache.

Any help would be appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:48 02 Apr 2011

Power to Graphics card?
Power to Motherboard OK?

Usually a power problem like a plug missing off the motherboard
Power Connectors 4-pin ATX12V connector, 24-pin main power connector

PC Advisor Fan 14:19 02 Apr 2011

The motherboard powers up and the fans all work. You can also hear the hard drive power up, I could not find anywhere to plug power into the graphics card.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:38 02 Apr 2011

Did you test the cable and monitor as well as the graphics card?

PC Advisor Fan 14:41 02 Apr 2011

yes and I tried another monitor

961 14:43 02 Apr 2011

Is it that the computer won't start or that the monitor won't display?

Ensure your graphics card/system is set to display only fps etc that your monitor can use

If the motherboard has on board graphics remove the graphics card and see if the monitor works

Go in to the BIOS and set for "fail safe" operation

PC Advisor Fan 14:46 02 Apr 2011

the computer starts but I can't see anything on a screen so I can't access the bios. The motherboard has no integrated graphics card.

Terry Brown 15:02 02 Apr 2011

If our motherboard has a built in graphics display, unplug your monitor (and mains power), disconnect the graphic card and reconnect monitor to on board graphics.

Reboot

Terry

961 16:11 02 Apr 2011

If the mobo has no integrated graphics, have you an old crt monitor or can you borrow one

My inclination is that the basic settings on the computer are producing video output that the current monitor cannot accommodate and so it is basically not trying to display in order to avoid damage

Modern flat screens usually display at around 60/70 fps whereas crt displays often used up to 90 fps

An alternative may be to see if your motherboard original set up has the ability to rectify this, although I appreciate that without video display this may be imposssible

961 16:21 02 Apr 2011

Reading your earlier post does this graphics card require two power connections?

Some work off power from the socket, others require additional power connections

Can you read the graphics card manual to see if you need an additional connection?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:55 02 Apr 2011

Monitor Cable and Graphics card works in another (no power required for Graphics card)

HDD and optical drives power up

Looks like either faulty m/board or faulty CPU / ram

Reseat CPU retry

Try motherboard out of case on paper, no drives just CPU, 1 stick of ram, PSU and graphics card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?