New PC Windows 7 back ups with Norton Ghost 15?

Cloudhopper 16:56 24 Aug 2010

Hi!

I have a new PC which I wish to link another PC to form a 2 machine network (to be expanded later).

The new PC came like this: Windows 7 professional; 2 x 1000 GB hard disks in the same base unit case.

The other machine is Windows XP.

I have not installed any software on the Windows 7 myself yet, it only has what it came with from the shop.

For optimum safety should I instal Norton Ghost first, then run a full image scan of the machine before installing anything else or linking up with another machine? I will be using this machine for business so I'm looking for the safest and most complete number of steps during set up and software installation. What steps would you folks follow?

I am getting a professional in to do the work for me but I want some background knowledge and advice beforehand so I'm in a position to question/challenge their approach (if necessary) and be convinced they know what they're doing.

C

sunnystaines 17:20 24 Aug 2010

with backups my view.

on the clean w7 get all the ms updates and take a image, then have another image/clone when all your programs are installed which is updated often.

if disaster strikes you can then either quickly have a clean image of w7 or last backup.

ghost will only cover one pc unless you get a 2nd licence do not know why they do not cover 3 pc's..

Cloudhopper 06:17 25 Aug 2010

Thanks Sunnystaines I'll adopt the 'safety first' approach.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?