new pc where to start?

Ali_T 12:09 24 Oct 2008

Hi

I've just bought a new desktop (vista os). It's a wireless desktop and I will use a BT home hub for my internet connection. My old pc (xp sp2 os) is connected to the hub via ethernet cable. When I set up my new computer should I power everything else down or can I leave the old one running? I only have one monitor so will be connecting that to the new pc chassis. Will I still be able to see what's on the old one? I don't intend to keep the old one running for long but if it's still connected via ethernet will that make the transfer of data from old to new easier? I am buying an external hdd to use as a back up storage device. Will this be an easier way to transfer date rather than the data transfer wizards that vista & xp have? Sorry if there's a lot there and it's a bit vague.

Many thanks

Ali

sunny staines 13:36 24 Oct 2008

there used to be a switcher you could buy to switch between computers sharing same monitor keyboard etc.

maplins might still sell them.

Terry Brown 13:39 24 Oct 2008

As you old computer has XP and the new one has Vista,and you do not feel comfortable about using the inbuilt transfer system, I would suggest re-loading your software (e.g. Office,games etc) from the original disks, then copying your working files (from your old computer)to a CD or DVD, and reloading them into your New machine.
Terry

sunny staines 13:40 24 Oct 2008

this is what you need

click here

Ex plorer 13:59 24 Oct 2008

You can buy a 2 Port KVM Switch Box + you will need Two KVM Cables they are about £6.00 for the lot on Ebay, this will connect both PCs to one monitor one mouse and keyboard to both PCs
There is a switch on the KVM for you to switch from XP PC to the Vista PC.

Ex plorer 14:11 24 Oct 2008

This will not help with transferring data.
this will connect both PCs to one monitor one mouse and keyboard.

click here

Ali_T 14:14 24 Oct 2008

Thank you for all your replies. That's a big help.

Danielxxxx23 14:26 14 Nov 2008

My pc I have don't play my games (C+C Tiberium wars, world of warcraft and so on) I don't buy the latest games so I don't need a high graphics computer. What I wanted to do is upgrade my pc I have now hoping to save money.
My pc details
Product: Hp Compaq Dc5100 MT CPW099ET.
Pro Type: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2,80GHz
Speed: 2800/800 MHz.
Pro Stepping: F41
Cashe size: (L1/L2)
Momory size: 1024MB DDR2/533 MHz single channel.
Harddrive: 40GB.

this the most info I know about my pc. I was going to buy I graphic card to boost my pc But the slot has been ripped out of the Mobo where the card goes and If I to replace with a new Mobo would it cost me more than buying new pc.

Please get back to me any more info let me know how to find and I get back I also have photos of my pc inside the tower.

ambra4 06:46 16 Nov 2008

Look at using the Belkin Easy Transfer Cable for Windows Vista?

Take a read here as it tell you how to transfer the files from XP computer to Vista Computer

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?