New pc, want to keep old ISP

pumkinpie 16:10 08 Sep 2008

I am going to buy a new pc. I have currently got BT dial up connection. When I get my new pc and connect everything, will my ISP automatically work with the new machine and do I keep my bt email address? In other words, do I need to do anything to keep using what I've already got?

Thanks.

babybell 16:17 08 Sep 2008

If you have all the original installation CD's, just install the software again and when prompted, plug in the modem and everything will work exactly the same. Just make sure you write down your username and password before you do because you will probably be asked for this when you install on the new PC

pumkinpie 16:29 08 Sep 2008

Hi, I don't have the original cd unfortunately, was installed 10 years ago.

jack 17:27 08 Sep 2008

like this
click here
Then you can connect your old drive to the new machine and simply transfer all your data from one to the other.
[The ISP does not knowabout comnputers as such you could have half a dozen computers it matter not to them.]

jack 17:33 08 Sep 2008

But this one works
click here

Tim1964 17:38 08 Sep 2008

pumkinpie

If you are using XP open up Network Connections by clicking on Start>Connect to>Show all connections. On that 'page' will be your current net connection. Right click it and select Properties. This will show you the tel. number and username and password that you are using.

With your new PC under 'Show all connections' there is an option for 'Add new connection'. Just follow this wizard and enter the details you got before.

The other option is to check your ISP's website under the 'Support' section and that will have the tel. number/email settings etc that you need.

The downside of transferring all your data to a new PC is that it also copies all the .....dross that you probably wanted a new PC for, to get rid of in the first place.

peter99co 20:35 08 Sep 2008

Use import and export to transfer your FAV and MAIL info. How TO is in Help and Support

I used a pen drive to move between systems

pumkinpie 10:37 16 Sep 2008

thanks for all your help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?