New PC Very Slow RAM

fpg 17:16 04 Oct 2009

Very Slow RAM

I have bought a new desktop with an impressive Intel Quad Core spec.
BUT the memory RAM which is 4gb ( 2Gb x 2) drags the performance score (Vista H P ) down to 4.6.
All other items score up to 5.9. Motherboard is MSI

How can I get RAM to score 5.5 or higher?
aatom

OTT_Buzzard 17:32 04 Oct 2009

What spec RAM do you have?

DDR2 or DDR3?
Frequency? E.g. 800MHz, 1066MHz, 1333MHz
What latency is it? E.g. CAS4, CAS5, CAS7

Everest (click here) will give you all this info. Link is for the 30 day free trial version. It's a bit limited but will give you what you need to know. If you can feedback the spec of RAM.....

GaT7 17:33 04 Oct 2009

What's the make & model number of the system? Or, can you provide a link?

I wouldn't be too concerned about what Vista says, as it's not a very accurate test to begin with. G

mooly 18:24 04 Oct 2009

I agree with Crossbow7... don't get hung up over the WEI (Windows experience index).

fpg 21:19 05 Oct 2009

First apologies for the delay in responding. I have just found your comments in the Spam Box on the BT online server - but thatis another problem.

The PC is a Medion MD8335 just released at Aldi so not yet on the Memory firm's data base - I tried that route. Only RAM details DDR2 SDRAM.

OTT_Buzzard I will follow your link. I assume (maybe wrongly) that the RAM is 800mhz and replaced by 1333Mhz would increase the WEI score?

I also note what you all say that the WEI is not gospel. Thanks to all.
FPG

OTT_Buzzard 21:58 05 Oct 2009

I assume (maybe wrongly) that the RAM is 800mhz and replaced by 1333Mhz would increase the WEI score?

Probably not by much. You'd need to know the motherboards max memory freq support, which is unlikely to be more than 1066MHz.

BRYNIT 22:24 05 Oct 2009

Changing the memory in your Medion computer may improve the WEI score but may not improve the overall performance of the computer.

Remember if you decide to replace the memory you would need to keep the original memory in case you have to send the computer back for any repair under the warranty.

Note: The Medion warranty only cover the computer as it was sold, it does not cover parts that you have replaced or installed yourself. They will usually ask you to use the recovery disk to set the computer back to factory default this is to eliminate any faults due to and software you may have installed. When a computer is returned from Medion after repair you will find our hard drive has been reset to factory default and all files will be lost so remember to back up your files first.

fpg 22:27 05 Oct 2009

OTT_Buzzard
Very interesting link to Everest.
The RAM is DDR2 800 and other info is ([email protected]) This is repeated with lower numbers eg
([email protected]) etc ? ? ?

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR2 SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
DRAM:FSB Ratio 6:5
Real Clock 400 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 800 MHz
Bandwidth [ TRIAL VERSION ] MB
I am not au fait whith this data - does it help?
FPG

fpg 22:37 05 Oct 2009

BRYNIT,
Thanks for advice re returning a PC to Medion.
But I have to say that the Medion PCs I have had have been reliable.
My question about the RAM is not that it is faulty but that the MD8335 is so well specified (Quad Core, 4gbRAM, GeForce Graphics with 1024mb memory, Ethernet +Wireless and WIN 7 upgrade) that I would like to improve the RAM to match the other high specs. If Possible and if worthwhile?
FPG

OTT_Buzzard 23:11 05 Oct 2009

Yes, that helps. Your RAM is set-up as it should be....

It's worth just getting an independant benchmark score for your RAM performance. As both Crossbow7 and mooly have both pointed out, the WEI scores can be a bit flaky.

click here

This is for SiSoftware Sandra (trial version again). Download and install.

Run the software.

Close the 'customise rankings' window
Close the 'tip of the day' window
Double click 'Benchmarks'
Run all 3 memory tests - Memory Bandwidth, Memory Latency and Cache and Memory. Follow instructions on screen for specifics.

Please feedback the scores. From the Memory Bandwidth test, feedback the first 3 entries under Benchmark Results (bottom of the screen).

From the Memory Latency test, feedback the first result under Benchmark Results.

From the Cache and Memory test, feedback the Cache / Memory Bandwidth and Speed Factor results.

Above all with SiSoft Sandra, ignore the Reference results until you well and truly understand what the hardware means!

Hopefully that will all make sense when you try it!

BRYNIT 23:47 05 Oct 2009

fpg

I too have had very few problems with my Medion computer. I’ve usually had good service if a repair was required. I did have a problem with the MD8818 computer which had to go back 4 times within 2 month earlier this year due to the same faults and was eventually exchanged for the MD8833 model luckily the fault happened 6 months before the 3 years warranty ran out but thats another story .

As OTT_Buzzard your RAM is set-up as it should be. The only DDR2 Ram that I can find is DDR2 1066 Mhz. The 1333 MHz Ram OTT_Buzzard mentioned I think is DDR3 memory. Depending on how the settings in the BIOS have been set the higher Ram may or may not work.

A good forum to get information on Medion computer and what may work is the Unofficial Aldi - Medion Support Forum click here although response to questions it sometimes slow due to not being as active as PcAdvisor they have member that change part in their Medion computers before it even a couple of month old and may know if its possible to change the Ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017