New PC time

swifter 21:38 24 Jun 2007

My current PC is quite old now and not as reliable as it should be and quite slow.

This is the current spec:
AMD Duron ™ Processor
757MHz 192mb of RAM.
80gb HD

What I want is a PC that is quick (It takes ages just to open a programme at the moment to play music).
It must:

Play music to a good standard.
Play movies very well.
Burn DVD's (quickly)
I would like to install and play some games. (A must when X-Factor starts again)
Have the usual Excel, word and outlook

Have I mised anything?

Any suggestions?

I have visited PC world etc and there are so many to choose from. I have also looked at Dell online and built one - Dell Dimension E521 - With a few additions.

I would also like to plug it into my TV. I have an LCD with a PC input.

I dont really want to spend more than 550 notes.

Also do I go for XP or Vista?

Cheers.

skidzy 21:43 24 Jun 2007

Firstly if your looking for a gaming pc,you may need to up the budget.
Also look for something with a good CPU (E6 series core 2 duo)
Plenty of ram 2GB is best.
Vista is my choice,some may disagree.
Decent graphics card if gaming.

Think you will need to rethink your budget.

ArrGee 22:28 24 Jun 2007

I agree with Skidzy, you'll have to go above your budget for something that will look after your needs, as well as being a PC that can be utilised well for a few years.

I've just (1 week) converted over to Vista Ultimate (from XP Pro) myself and am getting the hang of it fairly rapidly. A few annoyances, but minor.

I'm running a HP machine with 3.4GHz and 2Gg ram, and a nVidia GeForce 7600. Fairly low level, be adequate for video and gaming. Intel VIIV (32 bit) which is grand for Flight Simulator X on dual screen. Cost - around £900 (base unit). But it'll last me a good while.

Strawballs 23:04 24 Jun 2007

If you are trying to run XP with that 192meg of ram I'm not surprised it is slow.

ArrGee 23:08 24 Jun 2007

Good point Strawballs. At 192meg, that can barely run any OS now. (Perhaps a VIC20 though). But in all fairness, swifter is asking for advice on a new PC.

tatey1975 23:18 24 Jun 2007

I have just bought the phillips tv and slim line pc combo, wired it up and i'm not recieving any sound through the tv speakers. The lead is out from the green speaker socket on the back of the pc and into the imput digital sockets (2, one red, one white, but the plugs supplied are one red, one blue?) on the back of the tv - but no sound
any ideas?

also ive checked the drivers and both are working fine

Kate B 23:19 24 Jun 2007

Don't forget that Office - Word, Excel etc - doesn't come as standard. You'll have to budget extra to buy it. Or use Open Office, which is free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?