New PC takes ages to delete things

erkmatrix 08:48 03 Nov 2007

My new PC is working fine and no crashes with this one which is all good, however when I try to delete say for example a folder on my desktop it pops up the box and you hear the hard drive deleting but it goes on far to long for it to be normal. It has a Intel Core 2 Duo 8800 (Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GHz 4Mb Cache, 4Gb Corsair Memory DDR 800 so should be instant to delete anything right. I just don't get why it takes sometimes upto a minute to delete. The hard drive is certainly as well alot louder than the one in my last PC and you hear it doing everything, which I can live with but does anyone know why it would take ages to delete something.

Technotiger 09:11 03 Nov 2007
  Totally-braindead 10:00 03 Nov 2007

You don't say about your operating system. If its Vista then from what I have seen this is normal. I have noticed that sometimes when you delete something it takes absolutely ages. Another reason I don't like it I'm afraid.

Technotiger 10:50 03 Nov 2007

I believe Indexing can also be a cause of things generally slowing down, my thoughts confirmed by a check on Google ...

click here

erkmatrix 11:39 03 Nov 2007

Hi guys, sorry yeah forgot to say its Windows XP home and can't be the reycle bin full up issue as the PC is only a couple of weeks old and nothing in there. Well there was 8 items so I emptied it completly and took yeah ages to do again like 5 mins, now that can't be normal can it, so could it be a fault with my hard drive.

erkmatrix 14:36 03 Nov 2007

Well just ru check disk as well that was suggested in the first link Technotiger gave and has only just finished so takes ages but seems to of sorted the problem out as it deleted perfectly when I just tried something, so problem solved cheers for the help.

Technotiger 15:02 03 Nov 2007

Grreat, thanks for the feedback.

The F1 Help Key 23:54 03 Nov 2007

try doing it with pressing shift key and delete and the same time...but it will delete the file and the file will not enter in recycle bin...remove completely from ur PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?