new pc running slooooooooow, think hd is dying?

movementz 11:55 20 Mar 2006

Hi, I recently brought a new pc (about 2 weeks ago), straight away got rid of the old hd and replaced it with two seagate sata 300gb hd's. Anyway, it has been working fine until last night when it decided to go at snails pace to do anything. I ran adaware, hijack this, virus scan etc... because I thought it was just some spyware, but it was just the same. I ran chkdsk on it and the boot drive reports it has 4kb in bad sectors. I know the drive is only two weeks old but is it dying??? I'm gonna do a norton ghost on it tonight just incase but would like some help as to what to do please?

spuds 12:13 20 Mar 2006

Most hard-drive manufacturers have a test programme that you can download and check your unit for possible faults. Might be an idea to have a look at the Seagate website to see if they have this facility, I know Maxtor have.

xania 12:14 20 Mar 2006

Any HD that reports bad sectors must be suspect. I know that nothing's perfect, but .... Anyhow, get back to basics. Take out the new HDs and put back the one that came with the PC. If the problem goes, you know what to do. If not, you also, I expect, know what to do. In either case, soemthing has to go back...

movementz 12:22 20 Mar 2006

just cant believe the one is on the way out, I've only had it 8 days :(

movementz 12:24 20 Mar 2006

is this what is causing it to be slow? the hd dying?

Jackcoms 12:27 20 Mar 2006

"just cant believe the one is on the way out, I've only had it 8 days"

So, shouldn't it still be under guarantee?

movementz 12:48 20 Mar 2006

yeah, just amazed that its only lasted little over a week. I've had hd's in the past that have lasted for years

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?