New pc restarting and entering power saving mode

shauntaylor 16:06 07 Jun 2008

I'm experiencing a problem with my newly built pc. At first everything was fine then I noticed that if I banged on the floor the vibrations would cause the pc to restart displaying a "Now entering power saving mode" or words to that effect. Since then this problem is getting worse as it has shut down a few times without me banging on the floor of its volition displaying the same message then restarting again. Can anyone help me out with this please?

johndrew 16:26 07 Jun 2008

Banging PCs on the floor is not a good move; they don`t like it any more than you would.

You may have done permanent damage but you could start by ensuring all connections are good and the fans are running. Turn of power at the wall first and resist the urge to `give it a bang` if it doesn`t work, you will probably only exacerbate matters.

shauntaylor 16:27 07 Jun 2008

The power saving mode is the new monitors equivalent to auto standby or something similar I think so it would just be a problem with restarting when the floor is banged and occasionally by itself.

shauntaylor 16:29 07 Jun 2008

No the pc has never been banged sorry for any confusion there. It sits in a compartment in my desk and if I walk around heavily in the attic where the pc is, or lets say jump, then this has the effect of restarting the pc.

ambra4 17:58 07 Jun 2008

Check the power cable to the power supply unit is push right in to the socket

Open the case and check that the power cable on the motherboard is push right down and locked to the socket

Just make sure all connected is seated correct

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?