New pc required. Should I wait for windows 7?

jake2 18:01 30 Jun 2009

My pc is 8 years old (mesh matrix 1800) its had a few upgrades over the years but its struggling with some things these days. I fancy a fairly powerfull pc with a good gameplaying ability. It also has to be a homw office as it used for work over a vpn, (actualy 2 vpns. Something like the Pereus ST25 from cube 247 seems like a powerfull machine for the money.
What I am wondering is should I wait for Windows 7? I have never used Vista, and so far I haven't seen many good reviews of it either which puts me off.
So windows 7 machine late this year early next year (whenever its out and stable)?
or
Just buy a Vista machine?
Any adcvice on the machine and os gratefully recieved.
Thank you.

rawprawn 18:42 30 Jun 2009

Have look here click here
but there does seem to be some confusion. Make certain that the free update is available before buying a new machine.

mooly 19:15 30 Jun 2009

Interesting question. I was in this position 2.5yrs ago with Vista, wait, or buy with XP and get free upgrade. I didn't wait :)
The one definite advantage with the "free" upgrade is you get a nice shiny (I'm assuming it's done this way for Windows 7) Windows OEM DVD, which just might come in useful sometime.
And will the upgrade go smoothly, there are bound to be odd "issues" going off my experience. If you buy a Vista PC with bundled software you like and use, will you lose that ?
I see the link above talks of an "in place upgrade". Unless you can do this over a 100% clean copy of Vista I suspect you may not be happy.
Going back to the way Vista was handled as a free upgrade, my Windows disc came with a DVD from Acer containing updates to all the bundled stuff and a new BIOS etc. It made it all easy.
You need to ask questions. Decide on a suitable PC first :)

jake2 19:34 30 Jun 2009

Thanks for the info. Based on that and the fact that I am in no immediate rush I think I will wait until 7 comes out. October is not that far away and it will avoid any issues with changing the os.
Now for the new pc.
I get carried away too easily with the various pc building sites. I start off around the £800 mark and rapidly add this and that and before I'm done I'm at £2000! ish!
The perseus at around £800 became £1700! Whats the best way to decide what you "need" and avoid what you dont?
eg I added 2 geforce GTX 285s to the basic spec. The basic 2 x 9500GT's would be way ahead of my present GE force fx5200 anyway woudn't they?

gazzaho 19:37 30 Jun 2009

Why not buy a Vista system, download and install the Win 7 RC on a virtual drive on your Vista machine and try it until Windows 7 is released and you get the presumably free upgrade. I say install it to a virtual drive as opposed to dual booting it, this way you can eaisly remove it from the system if/or you want to install the full product.

This link shows how to set Windows 7 on a virtual disk within your C: drive click here

I haven't tried the virtual drive installation myself as I have Windows 7 on a spare hard drive and switch between them from BIOS.

OTT_Buzzard 20:14 30 Jun 2009

Whats the best way to decide what you "need" and avoid what you dont?

That's a mostly-easy question to answer:

1. List the tasks that you do on your current PC now
2. List the tasks / applications that you *know* you want your new PC to be able handle easily
3. List the tasks that you *think* you might want to be able to do in remaining lifespan of the PC
4. Above all - maximum budget!!!!

If you can post back info you will get help!

jake2 20:35 30 Jun 2009

1. List the tasks that you do on your current PC now
internet browsing, including internet banking
Home office. Woking through 2 internet VPN's
Photo editing
Music
Gaming.
2. List the tasks / applications that you *know* you want your new PC to be able handle easily
Fast internet browsing while mutiple applications running. Music and work vpn.
Playing games at high resoloution and effects
Holding lots of music and photo files. Up to 8Gb at present.
Microsoft office.
3. List the tasks that you *think* you might want to be able to do in remaining lifespan of the PC
Improve the gaming quality. Improve the speed of the pc.
4. Above all - maximum budget!!!!
Difficult to say. Say Around £1500

OTT_Buzzard 20:43 30 Jun 2009

Above all - maximum budget!!!!
Difficult to say. Say Around £1500

My bad....i should have asked if max budget includes operating system, monitor*, keyboard & mouse

* if you need a monitor then what size?

OTT_Buzzard 20:44 30 Jun 2009

My bad....i should have asked if max budget includes operating system, monitor*, keyboard & mouse

...or any other peripheral devices (speakers etc)

malgall 20:55 30 Jun 2009

getting a computer with vista and a free windows 7 thrown in would be goood idea
you can use vista till windows 7 problems are solved

i have a desktop which i will upgrade to 7
but the laptop runs vista and am happy with it

jake2 21:22 30 Jun 2009

* if you need a monitor then what size?

I dont need the monitor or any other peripherals. LOL I would like a 22" monitor and a state of the art sound system. I dont NEED them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?