Graphics Cards 512Mb 8600GT Nvidia DDR DVI
Memory 2GB Kingston DDR2 667 (2x1Gb)
Power Supplies EZ cool 650 Watt PSU
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP PRO
Optical Drives DVD+/- RW - 20X Samsung Lightscribe
Sound Card Sound Blaster LIVE 7.1 PLAYER
Speaker EDIFIER C3 2.1 speaker system
Networking - Wirel Edimax Wireless EW-7128G LAN PCI

I've had it since aug 08 but due to home decorating / building works we decided not to set it up in a temporary place and left it stored in the box.

It was set up and running ok on 10th april and was ok for a week. I upgraded to Avg internet security (already have it on other laptops)and installed Office 2007

my Husband kept experiencing problems when he was on the Music site Spotify and it kept crashing and restarting.

I contacted Cougar and the very hepful guy suggested I looked inside the case to see if anything was loose. he took me through it step by step and after this it was ok.

a few days later my H said he was having problems again, this tme he could not open outlook ,
the error messge said to run Scanpst.exe.
I eventually found this but could not get it to sort out Outlook.
I tried a couple of restore points but still had problem with outlook so I decided to reinstall windows as there wasn't many files or pics etc on the pc yet.

Had a bit of trouble with this and contacted Cougar again.
Windows would not at first boot from cd, but eventually it did.
Then it wouldn't delete the partition. then a messge siad it could not install windows as it was already installed. Cougar suggested I installed it anyway. i have finally found some time today to try and finish off this.
I have been trying to install the external hard drive that I have everything backed up on. (netgear storage central 101) couldn't get the storage central manager to update or find the drives. so tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no luck.
I was looking at the program files on the C drive to see if maybe something hadn't uninstalled properly and found there were all the programs from before the windows reinstall. these are not in the add/remove programs list . does that mean i have to delete these prog files from the folder they are in.

I'm going to ring cougar again tomorrow but thought I'd post in here as you guys have helped me in the past.
I hope I have not confused you all too much.!

woodchip 18:11 04 May 2009

did you remove the installed anti-virus if any? before loading avg?

mermaid25 18:14 04 May 2009

avg free was upgraded to the paid for version and i think it uninstalled it when the paid for version was installed

woodchip 18:15 04 May 2009

it sounds like that is your problem

mermaid25 18:18 04 May 2009

so do you have any suggestions i can try

woodchip 18:24 04 May 2009

I use Avast and never had a Problem, and I use the Free one on three home PC's. only thing I can think is if you have the Key that will activate AVG and have the full Download. I would remove it from Had Remove then try reinstall it, or try Free Avast if it does not work click here

mermaid25 18:59 04 May 2009

thanks for your advice but can you tell me if all the original prog files(Office 2007, spybot, netgear etc) (they were put on the pc when it was first set up, before i reinstalled windows and shouldn't really be there now,) can be deleted from within that folder.
They are not in the list of programs in: Add/Remove Programs.
thanks

woodchip 21:17 04 May 2009

I did not say to reinstall Windows. All I said was to Uninstall AVG if you have the Backup software for it if not you can Download it from AVG and use the Key they sent you to reinstall the program

phono 21:31 04 May 2009

You can safely go ahead and delete all the programs that do not show up in in Add/Remove Programs, they will most likely not work properly anyway as there will be no entries for them in the registry.

You could try simply reinstalling each program which should create any required registry entries, you may however find that you keep getting warnings about files already in existence on the drive and asking if you wish to continue.

Some programs on detecting the files already on the drive will offer the option to carry out a repair, I would try reinstalling each program and see how it goes.

mermaid25 21:36 04 May 2009

I was refering to my original post where I had stated that i had decided to reinstall windows and was asking for help for problems that i had after that.

mermaid25 21:38 04 May 2009

thanks
its getting late now and i've had a glass or 2 of red wine so will leave deleting those files till tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires