new pc - operating system

neep 20:08 23 Apr 2006

i recently purchased a new pc (dell) mail order, and now discover that operating system (XP home) disks were not packaged. A friend explained this was the "norm", what happens if i have problems with installed OS files in the future?

Neep

User-312386 20:18 23 Apr 2006

Either you have to purchase a "Restore to Factory Settings Disc"

Or

Hope for the best

skidzy 20:50 23 Apr 2006

Did the pc in question not have the facility to make your own back up discs ?

I thought if you did not receive a recovery disc,you had a program on the system to make your own recovery discs preinstalled.Sorry i cannot remember what its called.
I may stand corrected on this.Alternatively giving DELL a ring and see what they say.
Good luck

neep 21:25 23 Apr 2006

thanks for your replies.
as far as i can determine i only have one external drive and that is read only! (no floppy drive), i will try and contact dell, cheers

neep

terryf 22:57 23 Apr 2006

One possible solution is to find a friendly local dealer and see if they will sell you an OEM copy of windows XP home + sp1 + sp2. Otherwise another possibility if you don't have instructions from Dell to make a backup is to buy Acronis and make an image of your C drive (on to an ext HD)

terryf 22:58 23 Apr 2006

You should be able to right-click on the ext drive and in its properties untick 'read-only'

DieSse 00:03 24 Apr 2006

A freind recently bought a Dell system - "restore" CDs were an option (€5 if I remember rightly). Did you miss this when dong the on-line configuration?

Why not call them and explain - and see what they offer you?

Chris-347369 12:12 24 Apr 2006

The dell recovery software is stored on a seperate partition on the hard disk.

When I bought mine in Feb I was also given the option of burning a one time copy of XP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone