New Pc: Monitor Questions [ Connections etc. ]

matthew12106 09:14 28 Oct 2013
Answered

I just bought a new pc and a new monitor this one: click here i'm a complete noob to this pc stuff. I'm going to be doing a test build in other words I'm going to build my pc outside of the case first to make sure all the individual components are working but I have an extreme lack of knowledge about moniotrs and the cables needed to connected them to your pc. When I saw someone else building a test bed [ from this video at 20:30 ] [click here]2] uses from what looks like a HDMI from his graphics card to his moniotr ps my graphics card is this: [click here that what your meant to use always our just for test beds? I the monitor I bought comes with a VGA cable aswell. Or from my guessing is that I use the VGA cable from the back of the motherboard to the monitor? Anyways help would be appreciated

Now He Is

The Kestrel 09:19 28 Oct 2013

Your monitor has both VGA and DVI-D connectors. If your motherboard also has a DVI-D connector, then this is the one to use as you will then get the best quality display. You will need to purchase a DVI-D cable to do this.

The Kestrel 09:22 28 Oct 2013
Answer

Sorry forgot to add this link to DVI-D cables from Amazon.

click here

matthew12106 09:32 28 Oct 2013

THis is my motherboard click here

The Kestrel 12:21 28 Oct 2013

Is the graphics card you are using the same as that given in your link from the first post? If not can you provide a link to the graphics card you have installed on your PC so that I can see what connectors are provided to link to your monitor.

matthew12106 12:53 28 Oct 2013

Yes it is Graphics card: click here click here click here

Motherboard: Monitor:

matthew12106 12:55 28 Oct 2013

Also as well as telling me what do i need to buy from the best quailty will the VGA cable still work for just the intial setting up of the pc

The Kestrel 13:06 28 Oct 2013

OK the graphics card appears to only have DVI and HMDI connectors, so no VGA. The monitor has VGA and DVI connectors, so you will need a DVI cable to connect the graphics card to the monitor. Rather than buy from Amazon or elsewhere online, you could obtain one from a local Maplins or PC World outlet. Argos also stock them.

matthew12106 13:35 28 Oct 2013

Alright thanks a million I'll go buy a DVI connecter also just out of interest the graphics card has one DVI slot and the Monitor has DVI-D that makes no diffrence right? so any dvi connecter will work I'll probably buy this one click here

matthew12106 13:42 28 Oct 2013

actually this one click here

matthew12106 13:46 28 Oct 2013

Wait a minute but DVI cable won't carry the audio so shouldn't i get HDMI to DVI

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone