New PC just keep freezing up and crashing

erkmatrix 13:49 23 Sep 2007

Just bought a new PC Gamers (spec below) from what I had hoped would be powerful and do for playing games and photo and music editing. Sadly got it Friday and already has crashed 7 times. The screen stays they same you just lost the mouse and keyboard as you can't move the pointer or the control alt and delete or anything you press on the keyboard do anything either, only way is to reboot,

Its happened twice in a game, and happens when I'm installing software like it happened when I was installing 2 games, happened on installation of zone alarm and spybot.

any ideas anyone, I seem to remember my old time computer years ago did something like this and I used software called anti-crash which solved it but as this is brand new and obviously something is causing it to crash I'd like to get it sorted.

Has anyone any ideas what could be causing it.

Its windows XP Home and I'm using a Benq 24" monitor.

Intel Core 2 Duo 8800 (Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GHz 4Mb Cache, 4Gb Corsair Memory DDR 800, 500GB SATA Hard Drive, , 8025-C43 Midi, Atrix 720Watt Silent Dual Fan , 768Mb Nvidia 8800GTX graphics card DX10, QC - Gigabyte N680iSLI-DQ6-1333fsb-DDR1066x4 SLI (Dual graphics), DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe, Floppy Drive - SILVER, Integrated Sound Card, Intergrated Monitor Speakers, , Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Inc SP2, No Additional Software, , Free Carriage, 13 Month Warranty)

Cheers

Graham. 14:48 23 Sep 2007

How disappointing for you. Anything in Event Viewer?

citadel 15:16 23 Sep 2007

these symtoms are the same as I had with a pc a few years ago, after returning it three times to the supplier it turned out to be the psu.

erkmatrix 16:47 23 Sep 2007

How do I access event viewer, sorry don't know too much about computers.

PSU, well the PSU that came with the computer should certainly be adequate shouldn't it been 720 watts.

dan* 16:52 23 Sep 2007

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click event viewer.

erkmatrix 18:14 23 Sep 2007

Right I've gone into event viewer and under system and its coming up with

error W32time
a user32 warning came up yesterday

but thats it and I've had it do it as I say around 7 times now since Friday.

Graham. 19:25 23 Sep 2007

Look in Device Manager for conflicts, especially the graphics:

Hold Windows key, Pause/Break, Hardware, Device Manager.

Look for yellow Question Marks and red crosses.

umbongo(uk) 21:17 23 Sep 2007

w32 is a time sync error ,to do with internettime
and shouldnt be an issue

your best bet while it is still under warranty is to send it back to them get them to fix .as any advice we give may invalidate the system

as it could be that in transit a component has come loose inside or the company didnt attach a fan connector to the motherboard correctly hence overheating then crashing in game or faulty psu

as for the mouse issue re check that you correctly inserted the plugs if they are ps/2 as we had someone with a similar issue on tht had just plugged them in the wrong way round

Technotiger 21:25 23 Sep 2007

Without a doubt you should return it for the problem to be sorted to your full satisfaction. I would advise you not to try sorting it yourself.

erkmatrix 22:01 23 Sep 2007

Yeah, the case that I got with it I don't think too much of as the pci slots at the back where networks adapter which I installed in in where these pieces of metal that had to be snaped off and no screws. Also a fan at the side makes a lot of noise.

Also when I got it there was a hard drive to motherboard cable that had come loose during transit and was told to put it back in as wouldn't boot up the first time I turned it on. I did and it worked.

Just hassle sending it back isn't it and been without it for ever how long its going to take them.

clayton 22:41 23 Sep 2007

If its a new pc just send it back & get a new one, dont have this one repaired.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache