New pc gone mad

SoulSalsaSoul 09:33 20 Feb 2009

I have recently bought a zoo storm PC it took a while to setup and adapt xp games to the new vista OS but recently it's became extremely slow and unresponsive also it kept closing games while i was playing them for no reason. Also when i go on the Internet somethings i go on require activex these things worked before 15/2/09. But, it says in the programs list for my PC that adobe activex 10 was installed on 15/2/09. But,nobody was on my PC that day and it wasn't switched on due to it was the day before my dad's funeral. Please help me here this is a new PC gone mad.

oldbeefer2 09:36 20 Feb 2009

Have you tried the basics such as virus scan, malware scan. If nothing there, could be worth a sytem restore to before the problems started.

SoulSalsaSoul 10:12 20 Feb 2009

yes i have tried virus scan using PC tools Internet security. I am a bit of an idiot by system restore do you mean reformatting my PC

gazzaho 13:37 20 Feb 2009

I would try a few other malware programs other than just the one you mentioned, one single program can miss something. I would download Superantispyware click here and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware click here and run them from safe mode.

oldbeefer2 means to do a system restore, it restores system files to an earlier date, it's not a full format and reinstall. Read here for more information on restore click here. I would only recommend this as a last resort though.

I would also try CCleaner click here to clean up temp files as they could be slowing your system down, you semm to have a lot of games installed and may have a lot of crap to get rid of.

SoulSalsaSoul 20:50 20 Feb 2009

i have tried them except system restore which sounds good and by the way i got a site report of the malware cleaner downloader and apparently it is a high risk download zone.

SoulSalsaSoul 22:04 20 Feb 2009

Thankyou all for your help in the end the system restore was the key thankyou!!!

gazzaho 06:44 21 Feb 2009

Glad to see you got the problem sorted. The link I supplied is the correct one. Google lists Malware Anti-Malware Free which is a link to a bad site malwaree.org, the real link is Malwarebytes.org. If you have Web of Trust or similar installed and search google for Malwarebytes you'll see the bad site right at the top flagged in red.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?