New pc, disk boot failure help please

Sturmey 21:32 01 Dec 2004

Hello, I having a bit of trouble with a friends shiny new PC I have just been on the phone to him for about an hour trying to get his new computer to boot. The problem is when the pc it's turned it goes though the usual boot sequence then it says "Disk boot failure insert system disk" this would mean to me that there could be something wrong with the hard drive. The PC didn't come with any disks, it was meant to have Window XP pre installed and has a license sticker on the side of the pc.

We have gone into bios and changed the 1st boot device from floppy to hard drive we didn't change any other settings, I have asked my fried to open up the PC and have a look for loose cables to the hard drive, is there anything else we could try? any help much appreciated.

VoG II 21:34 01 Dec 2004

If this is a new PC it is up to the supplier to sort out. I would caution against opening the case as this may invalidate the wat=rranty.

Technotiger 21:38 01 Dec 2004

Hi, new pc? even with XP pre-installed he should have been supplied with a Rescue Disk for just such an instance as this. I would get back onto his supplier pronto. lol

Sturmey 22:03 01 Dec 2004

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone