New PC disaster

Hrosir 16:17 05 Feb 2005

Having rebuilt my pc following a breakdown of the motherboard, I find that the monitor no longer has any display.I have checked internal connections as an obvious starting place but cannot find anything obvious; al the system fans are working as is the CPU ( Athlon XP2800 ).I have a Radeon 9800 pro card fitted in the AGP slot, the fan on the board is also functioning I have checked the monitor on another system to see if this was the problem but again, the unit works fine. the only other point that I found is that the CD drive light seems to come on but does not appear to go out.
Is it possible that the CPU is doomed or posssibly the graphics card. I don't want to replace a part that is ok, but how can I find which component to change?

AndySD 16:24 05 Feb 2005

Try removing the cables from the cd.

Also remove and replace the graphics card.

Are there any bleeps

If not try reseating the RAM

Hrosir 17:00 05 Feb 2005

I have tried using a GFORCE MX 440 card in the AGP slot as this does not have an external power source. This has not produced any image on the monitor. Would I get an image on the monitor if the graphics card was faulty?

Storik 17:00 05 Feb 2005

The only way you are going to find out the problem is adding and subtracting various components. - Is there a little tab on the end of the AGP slot? If so, it might need manually pushing upwards to hold the graphics card in place. Tightening the holding screw at the end of graphics card can, if too tight, tip the card out of alignment.

Reseating the memory is a good idea, or even trying a new stick. Is the old memory compatible with your new board?

The CPU is another matter altogether. If you are unable to try this in another motherboard - I can't see how you will be able to check it.

Anyway, good luck, hope you get it fixed.

Storik

FelixTCat 18:08 05 Feb 2005

Is the computer finishing the boot sequence? Try unplugging everything but the master hard drive and the graphics card.

Do you get the POST screens on the monitor?

Does the monitor light show that it is on or in stand-by (often shown as green and amber respectively)?

Whe you tried the monitor with a different computer, which monitor cable did you use?

Has the fuse in the monitor power cable blown?

What is the boot sequence in the BIOS?

Does the BIOS recognise the hdd?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 05 Feb 2005

Have you disabled onboard graphics in BIOS or enabled AGP?

If not then no output to your graphics card.

No beeps because onboard graphics ok but not connected to monitor.

Hrosir 18:24 05 Feb 2005

the monitor shows a flashing amber light on standby and a steady green for on, the monitor is an lcd model and works fine on another pc. It does not activate with the post boot sequence. The motherboard is an MSI KT6V. without the bios screen I have nothing to indicate the problem

Fellsider 18:24 05 Feb 2005

'...the only other point that I found is that the CD drive light seems to come on but does not appear to go out...'

IDE cable connected incorrectly ?

Hrosir 18:26 05 Feb 2005

should the bios screen appear regardless of the Graphics card status, as my screen is not active

FelixTCat 18:44 05 Feb 2005

Yes, the BIOS screen uses a very basic driver. If the system cannot find any graphics card, the BIOS issues a series of beeps. Do you get any beeps?

Hrosir 19:01 05 Feb 2005

I heard only one beep after 30 seconds or so and that was it. The question now is why do I not get any screen activation? not even a bios message

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie