New to PC BUILDING (editing,games,3d) please help

ivesone 18:19 15 May 2015

Dear anybody

i am unsure of a build i am looking for and i was pointed in the direction of you geniuses. i am looking to build a pc for all round use, but especially gaming and working with video/photo/3d editing and render software. i have a rough idea of what i want:

as this is one of my first builds i am using the "Fractal Design Define R5 case" for simplicity and ease of use inside i am thinking of a build as such:

• Motherboard: Asus X99-S ATX

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4ghz

GPU: either AMD r9 290x or the Nvidia gtx 970 (which one would you chose)

Ram: 16gb expandable to 32gb DDR3 upgradable to DDR4 (i believe)

HHD: 2x Western Digital 4TB 3.5 sata

SSD: 1x Samsung 840 EVO 500gb

O/S: Windows 8.1 ready for windows 10

Above is what i was sure about bellow is things ive read up on but dont have a scooby/clue:

• Cooler master seidon 240m radiator All-in-one liquid CPU

Corsair 750w Modular PSU

also over the last few days ive done some research into both m.2 ssd and PCIe SSD i was wanting to know would this make a difference to performance compared to a Samsung Sata SSD say if i was to use it as a Boot drive for the OS or a Steam Library or for offline editing programs such as the Adobe Creative Suite would this be a waste of money and time

So my initial question is:

1. is the build above compatible? (i used pcpartchecker but they diddnt have all the parts)

2. would the psu be big enough for what i have or would i want to go for something bigger like 1000w?

3. Are PCIe and M.2 ssd's worth the money and how can i use them to speed up my machine and or workflow?

if you can answer any of these that would be awesome

Thank you

Ethan

rdave13 18:51 15 May 2015

As for m.2 ssd and PCIe SSD have a look at this 2014 thread .

Card power requirement is here. Minimum for system requirement is 500W with two 6-pin connectors. Expensive. An 850W would cost more but worth hedging your bets in case of further upgrading?

As for liquid cooling I've never tried it so hopefully someone else can help in that area.

Certainly have the Samsung as the OS drive and a few heavy duty programs and you can install/move your Steam games to one of the ordinary Sata drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?