Creative X-Fi ELite Pro Sound Card
Logitech z-5500 Speakers
Antec P180 Black Case
Tagan Easycon 580w PSU
Mitsumi 7 in 1 Card Reader
Suggest CPU Cooler Please
Suggest DVD Writer please

Total Price comes to £1650

Anything here that you would add, change, compatibility issues etc? Please let me know.

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:56 09 Aug 2006

I assume that you are going to use this for a lot of gaming.

G

hmmm 14:14 09 Aug 2006

Yepp, a lot of gaming. What do you think? ANy changes, compatibility issues? Are all the components I seleceted ok? Please let me know if I should change anythin.

Any suggestions on CPU cooler and DVD writer?

Many thanks.

DieSse 14:17 09 Aug 2006

Review of PSU click here

other possible PSUs here click here

CPU coolers - I use a Thermalright heatpipe cooler (on a Northwood P4). You can choose your own quiet fan for it. Also other good coolers click here

I was particularly impressed with the cooler, as when the fan failed recently, even in hot weather the cooler alone was sufficient to keep the CPU well inside it's temperature spec.

Go for a super quiet fan for the cooler, and a superquiet case fan, the largest that will fit, and you'll have a good system easy on the ears.

DVD writers - I have used for some time now, LG writers, as I've found them the most reliable out in the field.

Pleae criticise - well as GANDALF <|:-)> implies - it's a lot of money for a system, unless you really need this high a specification!

DieSse 14:19 09 Aug 2006

Another point - maybe minor - I thought current card readers could read many more types than 7 - have another look around.

garrema 14:27 09 Aug 2006

You may want to consider a 74 GB raptor drive in combo with say a 300GB 7000rpm drive. Game files on the raptor and all other stuff on the bigger drive. May be cheaper and the raptor has an easier time when you're only doing day to day stuff plus you have relatively future proof storage volume

garrema 14:33 09 Aug 2006

You may want to consider a PCI BB modem. some folk say helps reduce ping and improves your stats for online activities if your a shooter.

jimv7 14:35 09 Aug 2006

Some information on your choice of motherboard....

click here

hmmm 14:40 09 Aug 2006

What information whould you like mate?

hmmm 14:41 09 Aug 2006

I thought that 7 in 1 was the highest amount there was for an internal card reader? Dont really want external.

Thanks for your respnse so far guys. Much appreciated.

hmmm 14:45 09 Aug 2006

sorry, just saw the 'click here' link. sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?