New PC build need opinions!

evmo25 22:21 08 Jan 2014

Hi,

I am wanting to build a PC for use with the following applications-

Autodesk Alias, Autodesk 3ds max Solidworks Rhino Keyshot Maxwell Octane Blender Maya Adobe After effects Adobe Photoshop Adobe Premier Pro Google Sketchup

I have pretty much decided on the parts that i want to use and would much appreciate advice, suggestions and opinions on the final build to make sure i have everything right and it will be a good machine for the applications i am looking to use. The build is for University next year so i want to make sure my computer can handle any of the CAD programs that they may require us to use, that is why the list of applications is quite extensive!

This is the build-

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£188.40 @ Aria PC) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.90 @ Ebuyer) Motherboard: ASRock H87M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£60.00 @ Amazon UK) Memory: Kingston XMP Blu Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£96.59 @ Amazon UK) Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£118.79 @ Amazon UK) Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN851ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter (£13.14 @ Aria PC) Video Card: Sapphire Technology AMD FirePro W5000 2GB GDDR5 DVI DP PCI-E Professional 3D Graphics Card (£339.91 @ Dabs) Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£64.98 @ Novatech) Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£57.67 @ Dabs) Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk) Operating System: Windows 8 Professional Student (£49.99 @ Microsoft) Total: £1026.55

The one thing i am still a little inconclusive about is my monitor. I would love to get the Dell U2713HM but it is over my budget which is £200-£300. I am just not sure if it worth spending that extra money to get a 1440p monitor. My other, more realistic option, is to get the Dell U2414h or P2414h. But i am still unsure so would appreciate any help deciding on a monitor. Cheers

Jollyjohn 11:55 09 Jan 2014

My only comment would be to source the CPU, Motherboard and RAM from the same supplier and make it clear you expect the three to work together, just in case there are any issues.

nickf 12:29 09 Jan 2014

I agree with jollyjohn , most suppliers will have matched bundles for sale , I know Scan are quite good on that , I would also suggest putting a standard HDD into your build for storage, otherwise your SSD will soon fill up . Good choice on the SSD , I got one a couple of months ago , blisteringly fast ! Good luck

evmo25 22:09 09 Jan 2014

Cheer's for the answers guys i will definitely look into getting the from the same supplier. It will also be easier to get help is anything goes wrong as i will have sources it from the same place. And nickf i am hopefully going to get a external hard drive as well as my SSD for backups and files which don't need to open super fast! Cheers

Woolwell 23:10 09 Jan 2014

You should get an internal drive to supplement the ssd. You will be surprised how quickly a drive fills with programs and data. Windows and programs go on the SSD and all of the data (photos, documents, etc) on the standard hard drive. 1Tb should be suitable.

Is there a reason why you want a mini case? Check fans.

evmo25 16:52 10 Jan 2014

Cheers for the advice. I will look into getting 1tb drive are there any you could recommend? I went with a mini case due to the fact my motherboard was mini ATX and i need to be able to take my computer back and forth from uni, so the smaller case size will make this easier.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone