New PC with booklet and nothing else?

Diemmess 09:23 01 Sep 2005

A friend who asks advice but seldom takes it,.... has bought a Packard Bell imedia 1307 from PC World(of course).

Pre-loaded with XP home, and MS Works it has a rather vague manual and no CDs whatsoever. It seems to have integrated video, sound and most other things.

Friend lives miles away and though I have not seen it, the time will come when I shall be asked "What do I do now?"

A licence with XP is to allow use of the software, but I am less certain about retail of a pre-loaded box and what sort of CD software should be supplied with it

Two questions-

1. He says in telephone conversation "there is a section of the HD (about 6Mb ?) part of a system backup". .....Is this likely or has he confused the used part of the 180Gb HD, 6Gb? seems more likely to be the loaded goodies. Will there be a hidden partition for the day when things go pear-shaped?

2. With pre-loaded XP is he or is he not entitled to some sort of CD to restore XP to the way it is today?

I can feel a home visit coming on! I would just like to be seen not talking nonsense when I go there!

Diodorus Siculus 09:34 01 Sep 2005

This may give you a starting point.
Support Packard Bell uk - Product Page - Model - IMEDIA 1307
click here

gudgulf 09:49 01 Sep 2005

From my own experience Packard Bell i-media pcs will have the entire installation of Windows and the software backed up on a hidden partition on the main hard drive.

They used to supply a red floppy disc which would allow you to recover the machine to factory specification or do a repair installation of windows.It would also allow selective software reinstallation from the hidden partition.

Bear in mind that my pc was an older version running Windows Me....but check for a bootable floppy disc/cd somewhere in the package.

For more information on the 1307 model click here

Information about the motherboard click here

and some information about the backup partition click here

lastly to a link to get the manual click here

Hopefully that should help you.

Diemmess 12:22 01 Sep 2005

Just the sort of help I've come to expect on this forum.

The advice may never be needed by me, but I feel a lot better after looking at those sites.

Diemmess 12:45 01 Sep 2005

As you guessed, ways have changed. There is indeed an unapproachable Backup drive. No floppy (no floppy drive) but from reading the pdf manual I thing he will be pressed to make a DVD or CDs of that backup drive once the thing is personalised and initialised or whatever. He gets a one-off chance at that.

All clever stuff, but I hope he calls his neighbour in at the beginning then if anything goes wrong I can feel superior :-)>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)