New PC Base Unit - Which One?

harleyd 17:52 29 Aug 2009

Hi All. I'm considering investing in a new PC base unit, but being a bit of an 'oldie' I'm confused with all this modern terminology - Memory, Processor, Storage etc. In very, very plain terms what should I be looking for (spec wise) in terms of a fast trouble free and up to the minute machine. Many thanks. HD

Splodge 19:20 29 Aug 2009

My only advice is: buy the best you can afford. Some companies will build to order or without monitor.

My guess is that every post will have a different opinion because they have had different experiences.

Personally, I was glad to have bought a Sony 7 or 8 years ago.

The only thing I have done to improve it is to increase the ram but, I have abused it, been inside it many times changing hard drives or altering the jumpers. And more!

I do it when I am feeling bored. I have learned to back-up first though. Both a second internal and external dives. It has saved my bacon many times.

Earlier computers did not withstand the meddling.

LOL

(Another Oldie!)

GaT7 19:48 29 Aug 2009

What are you going to be using the PC for?

The more detail the better, including 3D game titles if you're a 'gamer'.

Also, what's your budget & present monitor like? G

sonyboy 21:48 29 Aug 2009

Now I'm a biker ..and an analogy comes to mind here..Its' no point buying a "killer machine" if you only do school runs..Likewise ....a scooter wouldn't get you a long way in a short time on the Motorway..So...give us an idea of what sort of stuff you do on your PC ...and we'll try and point you in the right direction..
There's loads of options.... and loads of suppliers who can configure you a PC to suit your needs.
Give us an idea of your intended budget ..and it'll help no end in coming up with some suggestions....And as you've asked..advice will be non-techy :)

harleyd 06:45 30 Aug 2009

Hi everyone. I spend a lot of my time on the internet (too much according to my wife, since early retirement) selling/buying all over the world (extended hobby, not a business) which often means loading/downloading a lot of photographs + storing them. Not much into games & the likes (the odd video now & again) but often have multiple applications on the go at any one time, besides uploading/downloading from/to various sites/contacts. E-mail volume is also heavy with often large attachments involved. Basically I'm looking for a really fast but reliable machine, which won't slow down when under pressure, good storage capacity and dare I suggest (within reason) that price isn't too much of an issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone