New PC. ATX or Micro ATX MoBo??

wint 14:58 29 Jan 2007

Hello. I am about to (re)build a PC. Does it make any diference if i use an ATX motherboard or a Micro ATX motherboard?

I am going to use an existing mini tower case (which currently has an old ATX mobo installed).

I assume an MATX board will just take up less space? Or have I missed the point??

This is for a second PC & doesn't need to be particularly fast, I am thinking about AMD AM2 3500 Athlon click here and possibly a Biostar GeForce 6100 AM2 mobo click here although there are plenty out there doing a similar job.

Quite a lot are MATX. Possibly more than are ATX??

Thanks for any input.

Wint

Pamy 15:09 29 Jan 2007

wint, your choice but I allways think bigger is best.

Gongoozler 15:11 29 Jan 2007

Micro ATX takes up less space, but usually only has 2 or 3 PCI slots. If you have no intention of adding additional cards in the future, then micro ATX is fine. Most micro ATX motherboards have onboard sound, graphics, modem and networking, so the lack of slots isn't as bad as it used to be.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 29 Jan 2007

I prefer the bigger boards, cant get my hands/ fingers in to the smaller ones. when cables come loose or you need to reaset something.

I always feel with a smaller board thing are closer together and may not cool as easily as they should, more room = more air = cooler

Stuartli 17:25 29 Jan 2007

Finding a reasonably powerful PSU can be a problem and upgrading can be a pain because of the lack of room...:-)

wint 19:44 29 Jan 2007

Thanks for the replies.

The case I will be using has a 400W power supply, the only new items (hopefully!) will be mother board (on board sound, graphics & LAN), processor & RAM.

Cheers, Wint

Gongoozler 09:20 30 Jan 2007

If the case has sufficient space, I would always go for ATX. If you want to get a smaller case, then a micro ATX is quite a lot smaller, but a bit cramped for working in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?