New PC

surfer47 15:57 20 Jan 2009

I am hoping to get a new PC and would like some advise of how to go about transferring all the things I have on my old PC to the new ones. i am currently running Windows XP, dedicated sound card, additional USB card. I also have a seperate 250 Gb USB HDD. All the files/folders I havecreated are in My Documents and backup copies are on the above mention HDD. I have a broadband connection and a variety of software.
All advice appreciated.

MAJ 16:06 20 Jan 2009

Plug the external hard drive into the new computer and drag and drop all your files from the external hard drive to your new computer. Programs will have to be reinstalled from their original disks or from their downloaded .exe files.

Pineman100 17:28 20 Jan 2009

If you're using Outlook or Outlook Express as your email client on the old computer, export your messages and contacts to .csv files.

I assume your new computer will run Vista, in which the pre-installed email client will be Windows Mail. I suggest you don't use this - Windows Live Mail is much better, and can be downloaded free from Microsoft. click here

Once you've got it running and you;ve set up your account, use the import function to import your message and contact information from the .csv files that you exported on the old computer. You'll then be ready to continue using your email as seemlessly as possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?