New PC

crantock's 12:04 23 Nov 2008

I am buying a new PC and would like to know how to transfer all files and folders from my old PC to my new one

Thanks
Crantocks

MAJ 12:13 23 Nov 2008

There are a few ways:

Vista File and Folder transfer wizard click here

Or you could install the old hard drive in the new computer as a Slave drive and transfer them using drag and drop.

Or put the old hard drive in a drive enclosure and attach it to the new PC using a USB connection. click here(14167)Sumvision-35-Aluminum-Hard-Drive-Enclosure.aspx

Lots of different ways, but you'll have to reinstall any programs from their original disks.

MAJ 12:14 23 Nov 2008

Try this. click here

crantock's 12:28 24 Nov 2008

Maj.
Will this be easy to do?? Bit of a novice!!

The Kestrel 15:46 24 Nov 2008

If you are only transferring files over and not cloning the old HD, then simply copy from one to the other PC using a USB pen drive. I used this method when I bought my existing PC and it worked well.

MAJ 19:15 24 Nov 2008

I don't have Vista and have never used the transfer wizard (never needed to), crantock's, but it should be straightforward enough.

Although with the caveat that, if Vista can make it difficult for you, it probably will, it's in it's job description.

crantock's 13:03 25 Nov 2008

Ta.
Get new PC 24/11 keep u posted.

crantock's 16:46 15 Dec 2008

Bought new pc.Transfered all photo's and stuff but music different story. Have used ipod as external storage device but how do i transfer all music from ipod back on to itunes on new pc????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie