New PC

mctrout 09:19 19 Nov 2008

I have had to buy a new PC & I am copying the files from My Documents & My Picturesfrom the old one. I have a number of programs in the Program Files that I want on the new one, but I cannot find the installation disc for two of them. I have found a program called Acronis that has a"Clone Disc " operation. It says " You can copy partitions of a selected disc to another disc", but I haven't got a partition on my drive. Would the program copy all of the drive & would the Programs work, as I have copied some programs to an external drive before & wasn't able to open them. I hope this makes sense Thanks Mac

lotvic 19:51 19 Nov 2008

^ just bumping this up to the top so more people will see it

GaT7 20:51 19 Nov 2008

Which 2 programs are you missing the installation discs for? Perhaps they're available cheaply, or we can find you free alternatives.

In your situation, using a cloning program like Acronis would require both the old & new PCs to have the same components - motherboard in particular. Disk-cloning wipes everything on the recipient disk/partition, replacing it with an exact copy of the donor's. Something you don't want to do on your new PC/hard disk.

However, there's slim chance that a certain configuration will work without messing with the new system too much. It depends on a few conditions, some OS dual-booting knowledge, a bit of experimenting - & isn't for the faint-hearted! So let's just try finding you replacements/alternatives for the missing install discs. G

mctrout 21:04 19 Nov 2008

Thanks for replying, found one of the programs Disc & I have been told to download the other one as a trial & then put in my registrarion number in the registration dialog. So I will try that out tomorrow. The motherboards are as different as Chalk & Cheese, & I always ask before buying a program as I am not too clued up with the inner workings of a PC. I should have thought a little berore thinking Acronis would clone the Progam to a new PC, because if it did then the program makers wouldn't sell many of them. thanks again for the Reply Mac

GaT7 23:04 19 Nov 2008

"Acronis would clone the Progam to a new PC, because if it did then the program makers wouldn't sell many of them." - I think you meant 'would not clone the Program'(?) - in which case you'd be right.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was software available capable of 'program cloning', but most probably illegal to use anyway. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie