New PC

AubreyS 07:50 05 Aug 2003

Hi all.
I have been offered a PC for £675. This is the spec. Do you think that it is a good buy (Don't say good bye £675 :-) )

Silver case & 3 Case fans
AMD Athlon 2600+ Thoroughbred B. @ 2.13Ghz with heatsink & fan
Asus A7N8X-deluxe motherboard with :-
6 channel surround sound (dolby approved)
6 USB 2.0 Ports (2 at front access, 4 rear)
2 Firewire ports (rear, 1 large, 1 small)
2 Network Interfaces by 3Com (10/100Mbps)
2 Serial ATA 150 connectors (future proof)

512MB TwinMos (matched pair) running dual channel mode @ 400FSB
Gainward Golden Sample Ultra 650XP 128MB Video Card :-
Has Video In Capabilities
Has Video Out Capabilities
Has Digital DVI Connector
IBM 80GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
Floppy Drive
Pioneer Slot Loading 16x DVD/CD Drive
Asus 32x 12x 40x CD-RW Drive

Thanks for any advice.

A.

Lú-tzé 08:10 05 Aug 2003

Not a bad deal but I would like to know who I am buying it from and what sort of warranty is coming with it - for example, if buying from a friend I would be happy enough with it if the friend was going to be around for a while.

The CD-RW is a little old it seems.

Does it come without a monitor? If so it is a little costly. What about other peripherals?

AubreyS 08:13 05 Aug 2003

Good morning Lú-tzé.
I do know the person that ist coming from. The price is just for the PC, nothing else. Everything else that I need, I have already.

A.

Lú-tzé 10:32 05 Aug 2003

In that case AubreyS, it is down to your own personal needs in a PC. Is it much better than your current PC? Will it do anything that your current PC will not do? What do you want to do with it?

Still, it does seem a little expensive as a base unit when more up to date machines can be purchased from various manufacturers at a similar price.

For example, have a look at the SuperBudget machines in the current issue of Computerbuyer (I think - have a browse of your magazine rack) magazine - from £499 + VAT.

I hate to say it but it sounds expensive. I have just bought a TIMe base unit computer for £799 from the shop,and it has 160gh hard disk DVD-RW/CDRW burner ,dvd drive 1024 mb of memory,nvidea fx graphics card ,5 usb ports firewire port,ethenet connector,memory card reader,Athlon XP 2600 plus others that I have forgotten. I know it is a Time but I have also got a years warranty. So far it is superb.

Aspman 11:32 05 Aug 2003

Is is coming with an Operating system? With disks or OEM? If it's from a friend make sure its a proper licence of the software.

Tazfan 12:29 05 Aug 2003

I would definately sayit is overpriced for a base unit. Do a search online for a cost of the bits, and see what price they come to.

mick n 12:46 05 Aug 2003

<<<<512MB TwinMos (matched pair) running dual channel mode @ 400FSB Gainward >>>>>>>>

Interested in this part Aubrey , as i built a pc using same motherboard and cpu and memory as the ones you mention here.

The athlon XP 2600 has a FSB of 333 mhz, so surely, in dual channel mode, it would be 166 mhz?

brittas 14:01 05 Aug 2003

Get him down to £600 and you will have a good deal - just did a quick sum up (inc vat) and came to @£647 - although couldnt guage motherboard price !!! The Gainward is about £160 alone (golden samples are good because can overclock safely. The cdrw etc lets it down - so that is why £600 to allow for an upgrade !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017