New partition for Linux mount? / home?

Internetwhizzkid 18:37 18 Mar 2007

Hi,

I am in the process of wanting to dual boot into linux on my windows machine. Now I have the live cd etc and I have just had a look around the control center for new partitions etc. Now I get the idea of setting space ect, but the last box underneath says mount or something like that.

it then has a drop down box and says /home /boot /www

something like that anyway

Does anyone know what I want I have to chose. All I want to do is install linux on the new partion and boot into either windows or linux when I want..

Any help will be great

Thanks
Ben

Madscot_uk 19:49 18 Mar 2007

Normally for linux to run you need the root directory, where you install it and a swap drive, this was the case for my Ubuntu install.

/home would be my choice. When you install linux it will also install a program called grub which allows you to select between os's

LastChip 20:18 18 Mar 2007

You actually need a minimum of two partitions for a Linux installation. You can have more, but I would suggest you try the simple installation first and if you grow to like it, you can alter the structure at a later date.

The first partition you need is the "ROOT" partition, indicated by: /

This is the same in many respects as the C: drive in Windows.

The second you need is a "SWAP" partition, indicated appropriately as: swap

There are as many views on how large the swap file should be in Linux as there are in Windows, but about twice your physical memory is probably as good a guide as any.

The root partition is the core from which everything else emanates. The swap partition is the same as what is known as virtual memory in Windows. In other words, it is used to swap information from the memory to disc when the memory needs more space.

Most Linux distro's will take care of the partitions by just using the defaults and will recognise your Windows installation and set up a Dual boot menu for you.

Which distro are you trying?

Internetwhizzkid 20:23 18 Mar 2007

mandriva

but bare in mind I have 2 partitons i cant get rid of ( ones i must keep)

DELL MEDIADIRECT

AND THE RECOVERY PARTITION

thanks

Ben

octal 20:33 18 Mar 2007

Internetwhizzkid said:

"Now I have the live cd"

Doesn't Ben need the full CD?

LastChip 20:47 18 Mar 2007

You just tell the installation to use part of the partition you wish to use and it will resize it.

The hard drive name culture is different to what you've been used to.

The Primary hard drive will be seen as dev/hda or dev/sda if it's a scsi or sata drive. click here for more information, as it's important you understand this, in order not to load Mandriva on to the wrong partition.

I'm not sure if Mandriva has a built in partitioning utility. It's a few years since I used it. If not, you will need a partitioning utility to resize your drive. Ranish is one such utility click here Not as user friendy as Partition Magic, but does the job and is free!

LastChip 20:51 18 Mar 2007

Often the new generation of "live CD's" offer an installation option as well. In other words you try it first and if you like it, load in on your machine. Kubuntu does exactly that; it's a sort of dual option!

Internetwhizzkid 20:51 18 Mar 2007

I think it does it has drive drake, but could i not just make a new partition with no mount point and install on that new partiton would that work

Thanks

Ben

Rossi#1 21:24 18 Mar 2007

I used Mandriva recently and it does set up the partitions itself. Remember to back up important data first though. You aresupposed to defrag too but my XP doesnt like that.

LastChip 21:53 18 Mar 2007

you may have to assign a mount point (but I may be wrong). As I said, I haven't used Mandriva at all recently. If you do, just assign it as / (root) and the system should take care of the rest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?