New to Networks problems in recognition.

Catastrophe 11:54 03 Aug 2006

My experience with networking so far has been limited to Belkin USB connections which allowed me to see 'everything' on connected PCs.

Eventually I would like to connect the followijg:
Computer 1 Very old, running 98SE. Main use just vast amount of stuff stored.

Computer 2 Only internet connection. 98SE.
Used mostly for internet.

Computer 3 XP Home. Gembird Realtek chipset PCI added today.

Computer 4 XP Professional. Gembird Realtek chipset PCI added today.

Computer 5 XP Professional. I bought this recently and it has network socket.

As I am having problems I am only connecting XP machines 3, 4 and 5. Maybe I should dosconnect 5? Using Intellinet 8 port Mbps office switch. Red power light on. 3 connections green lights showing long 'blinks'.

Continued ...

Catastrophe 11:59 03 Aug 2006

I started (after connecting) running Network setup wizard on Comp 4.
Start
Control panel
Network and Internet connections
Set up or change your home or small office network
Next
Next Other
Next
This computer belongs to a network that does not have an internet connection
Next
(This is exactly as per PC Projects by Kyle Macrae page 149).
I was prompted to make a Network Setup Disk which I did on FDD (also on CD as Comp 5 does not have FDD).
These (Comps 5 and 3) seemed to go through smoothly.

Contd ...

Catastrophe 12:07 03 Aug 2006

Now the results:

Comp 3 XP Home
R click My Computer 3 seems to give shortcut with limited options.
My network places shows Comp 4 and Comp 3.
Comp 3 shows normal content.
Comp 4 gives not accessible .. permission to use? ..Contact administrator. Network path not found.

Comp 4 XP Pro
R click My Computer 4 gives System properties and accesses Description (Computer 4) Full computer name (COMP4) Network (Network).
My computer places shows only Shared docs on computer 4.

I have never done anything with administrator as only I use these computers (and the wife who has difficulty finding the ON switch - no I don't mesn it but she wouldn't know how to start dabbling with anything. I have to type Ctrl Alt Del for her where appropriate :)

So there are two issues
1. 3 and 4 are not both seeing each other (and neither sees 5).
2. Do I need to do something about administrator?
I usually set everything to SHARE whenever it comes up. Many thanks in advance for any comments.

;)

FelixTCat 12:36 03 Aug 2006

Catastrophe,

There are a number of things that you need to check, partly because XP Pro and Home need slightly different set-ups. XP Home always uses a process called Simple File Sharing; with XP you have to choose this as an option.

1. Make sure that all the pcs are in the same workgroup, e.g. HOME or MSHOME

2. Make sure that all the pcs have different computer names - keep them short or the Win 98 pcs cannot share

3. If the router has a DHCP server, use it to assign IP addresses and set all the pcs to obtain an IP address automatically; otherwise assign IP addresses manually in the same range, e.g. address range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.9 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

4. In the XP Pro pcs in any window go to Tools - Folder Options - View and scroll down and ensure Use simple file sharing (Recommended) is ticked.

5. In Network Connections, make sure that File and Printer Sharing is enabled

6. Set at least one drive or folder on each pc to share. Click Share this folder on the network; optionally users to change my files

7. Set the firewalls to pass traffic in the network range of IP addresses you have set.

8. Try again - if you still have no joy, disable the firewalls and see if that improves it

That should help. Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Felix

Catastrophe 13:08 03 Aug 2006

Many thanks Felix. I am working my way through these.

1. All are in workgroup NETWORK. Is this name admissable?

2. Only on XP PCs so far. Names (in all) are COMP1 ...COMP5

3. Is this for Internet access only? I am not trying to connect Comp 2 yet (only one with access). Others I have selected NO INTERNET CONNECTION as second post above.

4. Can only scroll down to this in Comp 4 (Pro) and it is ticked. Comp 3 has far fewer options.

5. Not done yet.

6. On both 3 and 4 I have R-clicked Shared Docs and set to share.

7. Not there yet.

:)

FelixTCat 13:30 03 Aug 2006

Hi Catastrophe,

With reference to YOUR numbers,

1. Yes, that's fine.

2. Great. Win 98 apparently can't network if the names are too long or have spaces (or something)

3. No, this isn't just for internet access. You CAN network pcs on different IP ranges, but it is not as straightforward. Getting the router to assign IP addresses makes sure that they are in the same range. It is also easier to spot problems, because a pc that cannot, for whatever reason, connect to the router and get an address will default to an address in the range 169.?.?.?. and will be obvious.

4 - 7 Good luck. If you have any hair left after you set up our first network you did better than me.

It will do no harm to add the internet pc to the net - you can always set the firewalls on the others to bar access.

Regards,

Felix

Catastrophe 13:43 03 Aug 2006

Hi Felix

Oooops! Sorry - am I messing the numbers - must be the strain :)

3. I am using a switch, not a router. Does this make any difference? I have no firewalls except Comp 2 which has Norton, but this is not connected at present.

On Comp3 - My network places I have (corresponding to those I set to share):
SharedDocs on Computer 4 (COMP4)
SharedDocs on Computer 3 (COMP3)
Organisation on Computer 3 (COMP3).

Both Comp 3 function OK. Double clicking the first (COMP4) gives the following which I quote in full:
"\\COMP4\SharedDocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

Obviously something is improving. Am I clutching at straws to latch on to the administrator angle? As I said I just loaded XPs and started using. I didn't set anything to do with Administrator. I assume any password would be ENTER.

Thanks again. I will keep trying.

Catastrophe 14:00 03 Aug 2006

Note of Firewalls

Comp3 > Network connections >
Local area connection 2
Enabled Realtek RTL 8139 Family PCIF ...

R click properties ADVANCED gives option to tick to engage firewall. This is UNchecked. If same applies to pro then that is also unchecked by default but same route does not seem to apply.

FelixTCat 14:03 03 Aug 2006

Hi Catastrophe,

What a good user name you have for setting up a network!

I only said YOUR numbers in case there was a difference, not to imply that these was - I've chased too many tails at cross-purpose because of different numbers.

A switch is OK; I presume that you have to set the IP addresses manually.

Note which IP address you have given to which pc, then from any one of them open a CMD window (Start - Run - cmd) and try to ping each of the others connected to the switch. For example, if you are on the pc with IP address 192.168.0.2 type ping 192.168.0.3

If you have a network connection, you will get a response like:

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 18ms

(Hope the formatting survives the posting)

If you get a "request timed out" message, there is no network connection.

It's probably best to make sure that you have a network operating between 2 pcs then add a third, and so on.

My Network Places will always show the shares on itself; it is those on other pcs that matter.

Regards,

Felix

Catastrophe 14:45 03 Aug 2006

Many thanks Felix.

I will try those IP addresses but it mooks as if it may take a time.

Catastrophe 15:06 03 Aug 2006

Felix

"A switch is OK; I presume that you have to set the IP addresses manually."

No, I didn't. I think they must have come from the Network Startup Disk.

I have found the one for Comp3; it is
169.254.149.181. Cannot find similar for XP pro machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone