New to networking

  Roger295 11:37 24 May 2006

I want to network my new laptop which is wireless enabled to my desktop PC which is not. I have BT broadband with a BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router and Windows XP. What extra equipment do I need?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  ade.h 15:38 24 May 2006

A PCI wifi card, of which there are many flavours, but you can go for a bog-standard £10 jobbie from Belkin or another of the usual suspects. before purchase, ensure that your chosen card can support whichever encryption protocol you use, be it WPA or WPA2.

I advise against the use of the less reliable USB adapters where a PCI card is possible, particularly if you are new to networks.

I'll get you a link later, as I'm about to buy the same thing for my neighbour as it happens.

  ade.h 15:42 24 May 2006

click here You can probably ignore the more expensive devices in this list and look at those in the £10 to £20 range from Belkin, Linksys, and so on.

click here is a good example.

  ade.h 15:45 24 May 2006

Just re-reading you rpost again....

I am assuming that you want both clients to be wireless, yes?

It's just that you say that you want to connect the laptop to the desktop, which is an odd way of putting it as they already are connected via the router. As you have a router, I doubt that you would want to create a peer-to-peer ad-hoc network, but that's kind of what it sounds like.

Could you clarify your intentions so I don't get the wrong end of the stick?

  Roger295 09:27 25 May 2006

Thanks very much for your responses. I am getting all sorts of different opinions on what I need. According to BT I need a router in addition to my BT Voyager but the Voyager states that it is a router (ie BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router) also a network card in the PC. I did try to set up a network with a LinkSys router but this was an utter failure and was returned. All I want to do is to be able to transfer files to and from the PC and also use the laptop to connect to the Internet and use the printer connected to the PC.
This is all very confusing but I thank you for whatever advice you can give me.

  ade.h 15:08 25 May 2006

Thanks for clarifying your needs/intentions somewhat. Given that info, you do need a router rather than an ad-hoc peer-to-peer network. The latter is okay for file sharing, but it involves the frankly annoying ICS to share an internet connection. Don't go there...

The thing is; you have confirmed that you use ADSL rather than cable, so you need a modem/router. Maybe the BT kit can be used seperately, but I'm not too familiar with it - I steer well clear of BT Voyager stuff (and BT altogether in fact). If you can get a solid answer out of someone at BT (good luck) that confirms what you need, then fine. But if it was me, I'd be straight on to Dabs and buying any decent bog-standard modem/router.

Network adapters are another matter. Most desktops and all notebooks have an RJ45 Ethernet port. I don't tend to set up desktops wirelessly, because I don't really see the point in most situations. Ethernet cable can be very long (there are three runs of it hidden around my house). If you want your desktop to be wireless - due to the constraints of router placement perhaps - then get a PCI adapter as I suggested above. Which configuration do you need?

And just to dispel and misapprehension; you won't be connecting the notebook to the desktop at all, except in the sense that they will belong to a workgroup.

  Roger295 15:36 25 May 2006

Thank you for all your help. I will see what I can find on Dabs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?