New Network - Please!

halliborange 19:55 03 Apr 2006

Hi All. I'm setting up a wireless network using a Belkin ADSL modem with router. Presently this is connected to the PC with an ethernet cable and then to the 'phone line via a microfilter. I can connect to my ISP (Pipex) fine. But, whenever i start the PC and the router the only way to connect is to fire up the browser, navigate to 192.168.2.1 ( which is the router address) and click on connect. How do i configure so that the router/modem connects either when the PC boots or when I request a web page? Finally, if I can do this can i also configure it to redial if the connection is dropped as i could with my USB modem? Thanks for any help. David

mgmcc 20:09 03 Apr 2006

<<< How do i configure so that the router/modem connects either when the PC boots or when I request a web page? >>>

I don't use ADSL so I can't give you the specifics for setting it up, but a modem/router should automatically connect to the ISP when it is powered on (booted). It shouldn't be dependent on either the PC being booted or on a web page being requested - it should go online even if there is no PC connected to it, so you need to check your ADSL connection settings.

ade.h 20:35 03 Apr 2006

As a Belkin owner myself, I can tell you that - although it takes a minute or two - the ADSL line and subsequently the connection to your ISP - is established when the router boots. It is supposed to connect automatically regardless of whether any network clients are switched on, and if yours is not doing this, then something is very wrong with it.

If my router is not switched on when I come to use a PC, I make sure to boot it up and give it half a minute's head start before I switch on the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?