New network (Internet Connection Sharing problem)

Migwell 10:00 23 Oct 2006

I have just setup a two computer network The computer in my office is the main one and connects to the printers and also to the internet.
The one up stairs connects OK for file sharing and will sent work down for printing, but I can't get an internet connection on this computer. Before the Network was setup I did have the internet on the upstairs computer through it's own modem but this has now been taken away as I was told that the upstairs one should share the internet if the downstairs one is online.
I am using BB and am connected with talktalk as my provider also using Windows XP Pro. Has any one got any answers to point me in the right direction please.

Migwell

mgmcc 13:25 23 Oct 2006

Presumably the two computers are connected directly, "Network Adapter" to "Network Adapter"?

Have you enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" in the downstairs "Host" computer?

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "private network connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Local Area Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

Strawballs 16:13 23 Oct 2006

You are using a crossover lead I presume if it is direct and not through a router, switch or hub?

Migwell 22:22 23 Oct 2006

Yes you guessed right the computers are connected direct to each other with a cross over lead.

The remote computer is not the one connected direct to the internet, but my office computer which I class as the main one is connected to the internet and also printers etc.

The remote computer has a Lan card and the main computer has LAN on the mother board, which is enabled. Both computers are working fine for file sharing and printer sharing. Just not sharing the internet at this time.

Hope that clears things up.
Thanks
Migwell

mgmcc 23:43 23 Oct 2006

...so have you enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" or not?

Migwell 00:37 24 Oct 2006

I have found the Internet sharing tick box you talked about and put a tick in it. I will have wait until the morning to try it out.

I am looking forward for the morning to see what happens as I can't use the other computer tonight.

Thanks for that
Migwell

Migwell 00:30 25 Oct 2006

I still can't get onto the net from the remote computer even after ticking the box as above.

This computer still has the drivers for the BB modem installed and when I click on the internet explorer icon on the remote computer all I get is that there is no dial tone and can't connect to the internet,could this have something to do with why I can't get on line with the remote computer?

mgmcc 08:21 25 Oct 2006

You need to go into Internet Explorer's menus, select "Tools > Internet Options", click the Connections tab and select "Never dial a connection".

Also, the software for your USB broadband connection should be uninstalled.

mgmcc 08:25 25 Oct 2006

My above posting refers to the *CLIENT* computer in the internet sharing arrangement, *NOT* the one with the modem and which connects directly to the ISP.

I'm uncertain which computer you are referring to as the "remote" computer.

Migwell 23:47 25 Oct 2006

Thanks MGMCC I just got in from work so have not done anything to day with the problem.

I will do as you say in your post in the morning. The remote computer is the one you are calling *Client*. The main computer is the one you are calling *Host* i.e. the one connecting to the internet and has the modem attached.

Thanks for your help so far, I will keep you posted on the progress.

Migwell 10:05 26 Oct 2006

Hi MGMCC

Tried the things you said. but still not getting on to the internet with the client computer, it seems not to want to work. I must be doing something wrong some weare. Thanks for your help so far.

Migwell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?