new to netbook

JoJoMurphy 13:27 23 Nov 2010

I have just bought a netbook for my kids xmas pressy, I need to install antivirus software and Kaspersky have an offer on which you pay and then download. As a complete novice, is this a simple process and having purchased and downloaded the software to my desktop, how do I get it into the netbook. I have a wireless modem so I am guessing I can use this somehow, but can someone give me step by step ( in easy speak )instructions to help me out.
Many thanks

Joanne
p.s. any other advice on what to put on a netbook for initial use will be more than appreciated.

scotty 13:50 23 Nov 2010

You do not need to pay for anti-virus software. There are free alternatives (e.g. AVG or Avast).

I like this site as it is an easy way to get many of the free software downloads I use: click here

All you need is a link to the internet.

As it is for a netbook, I was recommend downloading the following:
Opera;
Pidgin;
VLC;
GOM;
WinAmp;
K-Lite codecs;
Picasa;
Irfanview;
Avast or AVG;
7-zip

Strawballs 14:00 23 Nov 2010

If you get it networked then put the software in a folder which you can setup for shareing across the network, you can do this by right clicking on the file choose sharing then follow instructions for sharing.

What versions of windows does the netbook and desktop? this is for instructions to network

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?