New My Book - can I check I've formatted it right?

Rockarch 16:39 24 Aug 2008

Hi there

I am seeking some reassurance that I've done the right thing with a new WD My Book. It is going to be used with an XP system so I reformatted it to NTFS using the instructions on the WD website.

The only thing that didn't happen as per their instructions is that towards the end of the process, I wasn't asked for the 'Volume Label' to name the drive as expected. So once it had finished I renamed the drive from 'New Volume Label' to 'My Book' which is what Windows had called it.
It all seems fine except that in Explorer, when I click on 'System Volume Information' under the new drive, I get an 'access denied' message. I just want to check that this is normal and I have done it all correctly before I start loading files onto it. My previous external allowed me to see the system volume info but that was formatted as FAT32.
Thanks in advance for your help

version8 17:07 24 Aug 2008

Try saving something to it?

Rockarch 17:24 24 Aug 2008

Yes I can save things to it but really I wanted to check whether I should be able to see the 'System Volume Information' as an indicator of whether the whole thing had worked correctly or not.

woodchip 17:29 24 Aug 2008

System Volume Information. Is the Restore Information Folder, you cannot read this without using other software to see the Restore points created

woodchip 17:30 24 Aug 2008

To check Volume, double click my computer then right click C:\ drive

Rockarch 17:44 24 Aug 2008

Thanks woodchip. I can understand if it is the restore info but in that case can you explain why I can see the system volume info on a different external hard drive ?

woodchip 17:48 24 Aug 2008

That folder goes on all Hard Drive Partitions so that other than C:\ can be restored. I turn Mine of for all Partitions other than the one with the Operating System on it, this I set to 9% of the Drive

Rockarch 18:03 24 Aug 2008

Sorry, you've lost me.

On the other external drive I can open the system volume info folder and there are 2 sub folders there for restoring. On the My Book I get an access denied message when I try and open the folder and looking at the properties of this folder it is empty which is why I am not sure if I can done it correctly or if this is what I should expect?

It was a brand new drive on which I deleted the fat32 partition and then created a partition and formatted in NTFS.

woodchip 18:06 24 Aug 2008

you have surprised me, as none of my three XP computers will let me look at any system volume information. on any partition or drive external or otherwise. I get the same message as you

woodchip 18:08 24 Aug 2008

Plus it does not give the info you are looking for you have to do what I said in my first post to find that out

woodchip 18:08 24 Aug 2008

Plus it does not give the info you are looking for you have to do what I said in my first post to find that out.
That mean right click the External drive letter\Properties

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?