New MSN Messenger virus??

laurieballard 22:09 04 Dec 2006

Someone in my contact list sent me a link (Some picture view one) so i clicked on it and new contact windows started popping up all over the place and sent the link to all the contacts in my list. This crashed my PC so i rebooted and then got an error:

"Missing Operating System"

i had to resotre everything from scratch which took hours as the virus/worm/script wiped my operating system. I phoned my contacts and they are all fine. Anyone heard of this?????

chocolate cake 22:12 04 Dec 2006

What was the name of the link or title of the e-mail?

laurieballard 22:15 04 Dec 2006

Cant really remember. It was from a contact on my list so i just clicked on it.

mammak 22:23 04 Dec 2006

Someone on your contact list sent you a virus! have you considerd removing them from your contact list quick time, and no I have not heard of this I do not use MSN but the messenger services I do use I trust my contacts or they would not be on my list.

pretty simple really dont trust dont click

laurieballard 22:26 04 Dec 2006

when i clicked on the link it then sent it to everyone on my contact list so obviously they did the same as me, which is how i ended up with the link. I dont think it was a virus, more of a script.

I had to restore 500gb worth of data, not fun

mammak 22:34 04 Dec 2006

"Someone in my contact list sent me a link (Some picture view one) so i clicked on it and new contact windows started popping up all over the place and sent the link to all the contacts in my list. This crashed my PC so i rebooted and then got an error:

"Missing Operating System"

i had to resotre everything from scratch which took hours as the virus/worm/script wiped my operating system. I phoned my contacts and they are all fine. Anyone heard of this?????"

so this person that sent you the link was on your trusted contact list or am I missing something here?

or did you just click on a link that any tom dick or harry sent you?

if so well the danger of the net and all that leason learned eh!

laurieballard 22:37 04 Dec 2006

read my responses in order and it will make sense.

A truested contacted sent me a link, i clicked on it and everything i explained in the first message happened. They didnt send me it on purpose. A few seconds before i recieved it so did they from a contact on thier list and when they clicked it, then it autoforewareded it too me and i clicked on it, not knowing what it was.

mammak 22:51 04 Dec 2006

Although I understand where you are coming from it is as you have found out trusted contacts or not if you are sent a link or file and you are not sure of the source either scan first or do not click on it, and as you have found you are asking for trouble if you dont think first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone