New Motherborad and CPU

numlock 20:54 17 Mar 2007

Hope somone can help becouse I have not got a clue.
Have just installed a new motherborad and CPU.
The machine powers up but comes to a stop with a meassage that says "windows did not start succsefully a recent hardware or software change might have caused this".
The error message goes onto say choose last known good configuration to re start to the most recent settings
and then gives options ie restart in safe mode, start windows normallyetc.
I have tried all of the re start modes but the machine just goes into a loop back to the error message.
I have tried installing the new motherboard drivers through the CD but this does not even show the menu for the driver installation.
Help!

Strawballs 23:14 17 Mar 2007

If you are trying to run with the same installation of XP with a new motherboard and CPU it won't work you will have to clean reinstall windows and if it is an OEM copy you will proberbly have to phone microsoft to get it activated again but technically with new mobo and cpu it will be classed as a new computer.

crosstrainer 07:03 18 Mar 2007

Strawballs is spot on, if you have an oem copy of windows, (and this would seem to be the case from the error message) I'm afraid you will have to buy a new copy of Windows....I have heard of people getting re-activated if the motherboard died, but failing that, you need a new copy.

numlock 21:02 18 Mar 2007

Thanks people

I will have a go at strawballs suggestion and see how it goes.
Thanks for your help.

skidzy 21:57 18 Mar 2007

Ive just rebuilt a system and only the harddrive was original with the os installed.The only hiccup was ringing microsoft to reactivate windows,no problems at all.

I did not reinstall windows and replaced the mobo/cpu/ram/psu and all my docs etc where all in tact.

Maybe Microsoft were kind to me,after all it was a power surge that fried my psu and mobo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?