new motherboard and XP

madPentium 23:11 24 Aug 2003

I am going to upgrade my motherboard/processor/memory and dont really want to reinstall XP. Is there a way to force XP to accept all this new hardware?
How about a repair?

Forum Editor 00:28 25 Aug 2003

won't be worried by a change of processor and/or RAM, but you should always reinstall Windows if you install a new motherboard. As far as XP is concerned a new motherboard means a new computer, and you'll have to go through the registration process again.

Try to do it any other way and you're likely to run into problems.

Djohn 03:07 25 Aug 2003

AS FE says,If your version of XP is retail, then there should be no problems with "Activating" XP again via the internet. If there is, then a call to microsoft will sort your activation for you.

madPentium 13:13 25 Aug 2003

I have no problem with the licence etc, I simply didnt want to do a reinstall. I have had xp pro running happily for a year now and god knows what I will end up losing. There's bound to be something.

harry_b 13:21 25 Aug 2003

If the hard disk controllers or the hardware abstraction layer on the new motherboard are different from your current hardware then xp will not run, you will have to reinstall the operating system and reactivate.

Forum Editor 14:06 25 Aug 2003

I'm afraid you have no real choice. Your data files will be safe, but it makes obvious sense to back them up anyway.

-pops- 14:09 25 Aug 2003

"I have had xp pro running happily for a year now"

I'd leave it alone then.

madPentium 21:16 25 Aug 2003

XP is crazy :)
With 98se I upgraded my system several times and it was intelligent to say there was new hardware and ask me to point it to the drivers. XP would be capable of doing this if it wasnt for a stupid decision by MS. I sometimes feel like I have rented the OS from blockbusters rather than purchased it.

Klondyke_Pete 23:04 25 Aug 2003

I think some of you have jumped the gun a bit here...it depends on the upgrade!!

Could you post your current spec and the spec of your proposed new components?

I mean...if you are upgrading from,say,a Duron based,socket A system to an Athlon XP based socket A system you will probably be ok.

I recently upgraded from a Gigabyte 7IXE4 mobo,Duron 750MHZ system to an ECS G5S7A mobo with XP 2100+ and it booted straight through to the desktop with no qualms!!

Need more info I'm afraid.

Of course if you're wanting to upgrade from a Socket7 mobo or similar to a P4 or Socket A mobo you will have major problems.

madPentium 23:21 25 Aug 2003

Currently have an intel i850 mobo with P4 1.4gig
processor. I am upgrading to Asus 800fsb mobo with p4 3.0gig processor. Also 512mb 3200 ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone