New Motherboard - New OS?

Rasper 09:57 17 Dec 2007

Ok - bare with me - im not the most techie person

Building new system - have new motherboard.Can i just transfer HDD to new build & hey presto al is wel or as i have the Windows XP Os disc, can i install this onto the new motherboard as my OS - saving me the cost of buying a new one ?? If this is the case - do i need anything else?

Also - - got a new case but only has HDD Led , Reset Sw & Power SW connections for front display - now power led connector found to utilise my s*!@:y Blue LEDs on my Antec 900 - what can i do to resolve ???

As always guys - your help is much appreciated>

Totally-braindead 15:27 17 Dec 2007

I have tried this sort of thing years ago and got in a mess so I now do a clean install of the OS when I change a motherboard.
You can in theory change it across but all the motherboard drivers would be wrong, it can be solved by doing a windows repair and installing the drivers for the new board. But I tried this and got in such a mess I ended up blanking the hard drive and reinstalling.
Some others have managed it ok but as I said I had bother and found reinstalling from scratch was better. But thats just me.
Now as to whether you can use your old OS it depends on whether its a full version or an OEM version. If its a full version then you can use it again but you will have to revalidate it with Microsoft explaining you have deleted it from your old PC and have installed it on your new one.
If its OEM then Microsoft might refuse to revalidate it as OEM is meant to die with the motherboard, they might allow it they might not.
To find out which you have either refer to your label on your PC or look under CONTROL PANEL ,SYSTEM if the serial number has OEM in it then thats what you have.
Not sure about the LEDs though.

Gongoozler 15:36 17 Dec 2007

Hi Rasper, just occasionally you can get away with transferring the HDD from one motherboard to another, but more often the result is a disaster. Unless the new motherboard chipset is the same you will probably get multiple error messages, so be prepared to format the hard drive and reinstall everything. For this reason I have my OS on one drive or partition and save all my files on another one.
I don't really know the answer to your second question, I've never come across a PC case without a power LED. The motherboard will work perfectly well without the LED, but you will have no indication that the PC is on other than the sound of the fans.

Gongoozler 16:01 17 Dec 2007

From the Antec website click here#

In the FAQ section

Where is the Power LED connector?

The Nine Hundred enclosures come with two LED TriCool fans. When the system is on, the LED fans will be lit. These LED fans will act as your Power LED indicator.

Rasper 17:36 17 Dec 2007

Ive got the OEM version - Tb - did you email for a revalidation ?

Gongoozler - Many thanks, Great case the Antec 900 - but they defo state that a power LED is present in the Manual - typical - ive had the case to pieces looking for it - well you live & learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:07 17 Dec 2007

Drivers to disable BEFORE changing motherboard
click here

then when HDD install on new Mobo run the Mobo drivers disk

Totally-braindead 00:46 18 Dec 2007

Rasper the last time I reactivated I did it via phone but they might not allow reactivation because OEM is meant to die with the board and you say you've changed the motherboard.

I have to point something out, even if you did swap the drive over and did get it working by doing a windows repair the validation issue would still appear as soon as you tried updating it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ I think from his previous postings has done the hard drive swap many times, I as I said got in a bit of a mess so am not the one to advise on that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?