new motherboard, least amout of work

good morning, my situation: this was the first pc i made and is no longer mine, i am however bound by the terms of lifetime warranty after giving it away though.
spec from memory (im not with it at the mo)
quite old winfast micro atx am2 mobo (dead)
amd 5200 x2
2 x 1 gb 5200 667 hz ram
8800gts 320 meg
2x sata hdds
xp home
an external hard drive with full back up image for both drives.

i have to hand and wish to install the following:
asus striker am2 (atx)socket mobo
2 x ocz 6400 800hz ram (to replace the slower)

any tips? i'm guessing i will have have niggles without an o/s clean install (always have in the past)
if i reinstall the o/s to c drive can i still use the programs on the slave drive? and how do i get them to show in all programs?

many thanks to any ideas.

Gongoozler 08:56 07 Jul 2008

Hi adman 2,if the new motherboard uses the same chipset as the old one, then you might get away without reinstalling Windows, but otherwise you are likely to have problems. If you reinstall Windows, you will also have to reinstall the programs. The fact that the programs are on the slave drive will not help. The only programs that will not require reinstallation are those that don't actually have to be installed. An example of this is RegSeeker click here as this runs directly from the exe file. This can then have a shortcut in All Programs - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

hi, thanks for the regseeker link, as i said it quite an old motherboard i bought from a cornershop i think it k8?890ce something like that. the new one's nvid 280 i think, so im guessing serious repair or reinstall really. her games are all on the second drive and reinstalling WOW and conan will take longer than windows!
i dont suppose the image on external will be of any real use?

have tried the following seems ok so far, im not holding ny breath though click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone