New Motherboard - How to use existing IDE disks?

HIT any key 08:58 28 Apr 2008

My motherboard is completely dead (processor & MB) fried. Can't really reuse anything as it is a socket 478 P4 with rambus memory so it looks like new Motherboard, processor & memory. I can get a reasonably priced upgrade bundle of these items.

I have 2 IDE (UDMA 133) disks (200Gb & 120Gb) holding my system and data (XP Pro). If it is feasible I would like to be able to use these without a reinstall as it would save me a huge amount of time. Problem is that modern MB's only connect 2 IDE (for DVD's).

What are my options :-
1. Buy an IDE controller card for the DVD's & connect my drives to the MB? Would I be able to Boot of the IDE harddisks (and/or DVD)?

2. Someone said that there are SATA to IDE converter cables. Is this an option?

3. Should I buy a SATA drive and bite the bullet with a new install now (with external housing to get the data of my existing drives)?

Any advice would be welcome.

wotbus@ 09:22 28 Apr 2008

My Asus A8N-SLI supports 4 x SATA and 2 x IDE 133 drives.
My advice would be to buy something similar with a smallish SATA drive. Install your XP Pro on it then install your 2 IDE drives fitted as slaves.

wotbus@ 09:25 28 Apr 2008

PS: There is also an IDE socket for your cd/dvd drives.

HIT any key 10:01 28 Apr 2008

OK - so your advice is to bite the bullet and do a reinstall now. I was, sort of, reluctantly coming to that conclusion even though I would have rather put off the reinstall to a time of my choosing. That's why I was trying to cling to the straws of other solutions ;-)

Thanks for your advice.

keef66 10:06 28 Apr 2008

As you seem to be aware, most mobos now come with loads of SATA connectors but only one IDE

you can attach your existing IDE drives as master and slave on one cable to the sole IDE connector on the mobo, then you'd need new SATA optical drives (cheaper & easier to replace than the HDD's)

However, With a new mobo bundle I suspect you'll at least have to do a repair install, and if that doesn't work, you could be looking at having to reinstall from scratch. In which case you might wish you'd gone for a new SATA hard drive and a clean install!

xania 10:56 28 Apr 2008

Always best to do a new install with a new mobo. Your old install will have all the drivers you need fo ryour old mobo, and you should delete these and replace with the drivers for your new mobo. A repair will only add the new drivers, resulting at best in a bloated, unreliable and sluggish OS, and at worst an OS with loads of bugs which will cuase lots of crashes and which wil fail when you least expect/want it to do so.

HIT any key 15:55 28 Apr 2008

OK - I am well warned. I was hoping to buy time to do the big, clean install when I had some more spare time. Looks as if I might as well bite the bullet now. I shall go with the upgrade kit + a reasonable SATA drive (the differential cost is peanuts) and then get a USB2 housing for my IDE drives to recover my data.

hairymonster100 16:27 28 Apr 2008

Windows will detect you have substantiallly changed your hardware configuration and you will need to re-install/re-activate windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone