New Motherboard corrupted XP Pro

BorderCollie 16:06 08 Feb 2011

I changed the motherboard in my desktop to one taken from an Acer Aspire 6100, but kept my working 80gb Seagate HDD with Windows XP Pro on it- After the change everything worked fine for 3 weeks but without either the 3.5 floppy DD OR the CD-Rom player attached.
I then connected the CD-Rom Unit as a 'Slave CD-rom' using the original ribbon connector,but I immediately got a dreaded blue screen 'System32' error, so shut off the p.c.
On restart, with the CD-Rom player removed again, Windows will start up extremely slowly,but then display "NT/Authority- RPC has terminated the programme, shut-down in 60 seconds"
I have tried System Restore(inoperative), Last known good configuration,Safe Mode, etc,etc, all to no avail- it keeps shutting down. CHKDSK/Repair says no errors.
I can't even re-install Windows XP Pro using my original Cd Disc, as the CD-Rom player obviously isn't recognised by the motherboard or Windows.Even the 3.5" Floppy disk drive isn't recognised.
I'm totally stuck! Any ideas what I should do next?
David Grieve

gengiscant 16:39 08 Feb 2011

Did you reinstall XP after changing your motherboard? as the drivers etc would have been different for your new board.

If you attach your CD drive then go into the bios and change the boot order to show the CD drive as first boot and put your XP disk into the drive, you will be able to reinstall XP.
You will also need to install your motherboard drivers and graphics card etc.

BorderCollie 17:06 08 Feb 2011

Thanks @ gengiscant
No, I didn't re-install Windows XP Pro after I installed the new motherboard- (stupid, aren't I just!!) that's why I think this has caused the problem. After the motherboard was replaced, I didn't bother as everything seemed to work fine using the original installation on the HDD, including the wireless lan adapter- that is, until I tried to connect the CD-Rom player and the floppy disc 4 weeks later, that's when the system crashed and stayed this way.
I've been into BIOS and set it to boot from the CD-Rom first, Floppy Drive 2nd, and HDD 3rd, but the CD-Rom drive will power-up, but no data is going to the motherboard from the CD-Rom, nor is the CD-Rom or Floppy disc recognised as being even connected- I even checked using "Safe Mode with Command"- only the "c" HDD is recognised.
So nothing I seem to do will let me re-install Windows from the CD-disc!
Any ideas??

SparkyJack 17:43 08 Feb 2011

Install from disc on to a formatted drive
It is more than simply drivers and uitilities.
If you have the floppy install it. then get hold of
F/Ddisk or basic Windows set up disk
These can be downloaded.
Modst Mobo's have USB enables from start up now so a memory stick may work
Then follow the prompts
click here

GaT7 17:58 08 Feb 2011

"After the change everything worked fine for 3 weeks..."

That is key. It WORKED for 3 weeks, which means that the new motherboard didn't have any adverse affect on it. Not by the sounds of your post anyway.

If it had a problem to begin with, it probably wouldn't have worked for 5 minutes!

--------------------------------------------------

"New Motherboard- always means a new Install from disc on to a formatted drive"

Not always, as I have found many times with changing the motherboard & not having to do a fresh/new install.

There are other ways to get around this as well, e.g. click here, & a method which Microsoft has on their own website click here (in case the first could be thought of as a hack!). G

GaT7 18:39 08 Feb 2011

Have you tried (or can you try) the previous motherboard again? Assuming it's working.

Did you power off the PC when you connected the CDrom drive?

Where did you get the Acer Aspire 6100 from? G

BorderCollie 19:34 08 Feb 2011

The replacement motherboard did work for 3 weeks with my old HDD which had Win XP Pro, but only until I connected a CD-Rom drive- it was only then it crashed.
And yes- all power was turned off when I connected the CD-Rom drive to the ribbon cable.
The motherboard was taken from an Acer Aspire 6100 and has the ID # ASM1610/VTM261 Main Board F672CR Manufactured by Acer, BIOS Version 6.00 PG.
The old Motherboard was a Packard Bell make- had to trash it as it kept shorting out the PSU.
onwards.....

Strawballs 19:38 08 Feb 2011

You should be fine with a repair install which will not over write you data just windows which will allow you to sort motherboard drivers

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:14 08 Feb 2011

"4 weeks later"

Windows looks at your components and activates major component changes can trigger windows into seeing the PC as a different machine.
It usually requires more than one component change.
It saw the new motherboard as one change so worked OK when you added the CD Rom it saw it as another change and hence the message "NT/Authority- RPC has terminated the programme, shut-down in 60 seconds"

A repair install as stated above should solve the problem but you may be asked to reactivate windows with in 30 days.

GaT7 21:20 08 Feb 2011

"The replacement motherboard did work for 3 weeks with my old HDD which had Win XP Pro, but only until I connected a CD-Rom drive- it was only then it crashed."

I meant the original motherboard, but you've answered that a little later on.

The reason I asked about the Acer Aspire 6100 was to determine if you knew it was fully working with no known problems.

Never heard of a reactivation issue causing a BSOD, CDrom problem or the error you had by the way.

-------------------------------------------------

Guys he cannot boot from CD, so how is he going to reinstall Windows? Don't you think we would've suggested the same?

From the first post:

"I can't even re-install Windows XP Pro using my original Cd Disc, as the CD-Rom player obviously isn't recognised by the motherboard or Windows."

G

GaT7 21:32 08 Feb 2011

Sorry, ignore the 2nd part of my post. I just realised he can install XP off a flash drive (nobody mentioned it though)!

Anyway BorderCollie, here's the guide click here you need if you'd like to give it a shot. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?