new motherboard and blue screen

frankie 19:32 02 Feb 2006

new motherboard now getting blue screen

have xp pro with ntfs system but old board fried,put in a asus a7s8x-mx board for now have a nvidia 5700ls graphic card as has the dvi it keeps crashing intermitenly with blue screen any ideas is bios set up ok?as not too sure re that cpu is xp2700 have got ddr 400 3200 ram 1gb in two 512 modules is prob hardware or software am up to date with all updates inc anti virus and microsoft have run chkdsk still getting probs all help appreciated i realise mboard is a bit old now but should run this ok if all else fails how do i do clean install after i have taken needed files off,as i heard you should do clean install after putting in new mboard,i,d rather not re install but if needs must on advice i will

jack 19:35 02 Feb 2006

You did not say as far as I could tell
but- change the MoBo -a reformat is mandatory.
The existing system is 'tuned' to the old MoBo chipset. Change the MoBo- New chipset - Format and reload is the only way out.

frankie 19:47 02 Feb 2006

how do i do that have proper xp cd but cant find a way to do it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:51 02 Feb 2006

If you can get into safe mode the a reformat can be avoided.

In safemode control panel - device manager - uninstall all drivers for your old motherboardand install ew drivers for the new board fronm the CD that came with the board.

frankie 19:56 02 Feb 2006

hi cheers for response have done that as original crashes forced me into that way but still get blue screen on normal startup,have checked all is seated ok cards etc

frankie 19:57 02 Feb 2006

mobo is different chipset previous one was nvidia

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:03 02 Feb 2006

In that case sounds like best case is to back up all data on C drive and format and reinstall XP.

frankie 20:27 02 Feb 2006

how do i do a quick clean format i have no floppies to get to fdisk been a while since i done it cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 02 Feb 2006

Boot from CD with XP CD in the drive.(You may need to set First boot device as CD drive in the BIOS)

Follow the on screen prompts to set up and install XP.

When it finds XP on your drive use the option to format the partion and install XP.

Clean install windows XP
click here
click here
click here
click here

frankie 20:40 02 Feb 2006

set bios to boot from cd came up with the system you are trying to install is older then current one ,,,huh its my xp pro pucker version have updated etc and been validated never had that come up before

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:58 02 Feb 2006

ystem you are trying to install is older then current one
This is probably because you have upgraded to SP2

Format the drive install from your CD then you will have to reinstall the updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires